1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker tail wheel lock?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gardenpro, Feb 4, 2003.

1. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

I'm looking very seriously at buying a Walker, likely within a week, and makiing out a package deal with the store.
    The store knows little about the lock, but I read in the archives that they are great.
    Is it easy to
    1. install
    2. use?
    Like do I need to do anything to change directions? I'm also wondering how effective it is?
    Thanks again.
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

What does a "tail lock" do? To what advantage is it?
  3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

It helps the stability of the Walker on hillsides. In other words keeps the back end from fishtailing.
  4. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

IB have you tried it? Was it a pain in the butt? I picture having to get off the Walker and unhooking it, turning then hooking it on again, I hope I'm way off.
  5. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

I personnally dont have one yet (will soon) but I have seen them in action and they are great no more fishtailing with a close to full bag. All there is to locking and unlocking the wheels is a toggle switch.
  6. Wheat King

Wheat King LawnSite Member

I have the tail lock on two of my Walkers. It is an excellent accessary for slopes and perfect stripes. It is simple to install-maybe one hour. The holes are already drilled in the Walker's frame from the factory-just bolt on and run the wires to the switch mounted on the forward ground control lever and tap into the hot wire off the battery. It is simply a solenoid that locks and unlocks the rear yoke. It is a differnet yoke that is provided in the kit with a notch cut in it. I highly recommend if you do a lot of slopes. ditches, and striping.
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Would a duel wheel set-up, like a Grasshopper, help you out on the hills instead of this tail lock?
  8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have them on our Walkers! Have the dealer install due to the solonoid hook up! You will like it!
  9. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

How much did it cost you guys for the lock and to have it installed?
  10. Green Mtn. Guy

Green Mtn. Guy LawnSite Member

It is an easy install. Might need to adjust at first so when you lock the tail you track straight. I can mow hills sideways where I wish I had a seat belt. It is very bumpy over here, so locking the tail makes for easy stripes. Almost hands free. Feels like its less stress on the hydros because you are not constantly adjusting. I would also strongly recomend getting the 26EFI. I have installed the mechinacal deck lift recently and don't know how I ever lived with out it. Great for preventing scalping, when I dump onsite I can now drive into the forest or a rough road to dump with a low deck setting, and the machine transports much quicker with the deck raised. Just got to watch out for the tail bouncing.