1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker Thatcher Attachment

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by daveslandscaping, Sep 11, 2005.

1. daveslandscaping

daveslandscaping LawnSite Member

With fall coming up its gonna be time for thatching, aerating, and powerseeding. Anyone out there using the tine thatching attachement that connects to the front of the walker mowers? In the past i always rented a power rake for a day or two, but my walker dealer swears by this attachment so i have been debating it. Its only like 250 so it should pay for itself quickly as long as it does a decent job. You guys think this device yields marketable results? Thanks for the input.
  2. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

yes i ude one, it's not a power rake but it does loosen up the thach.plus the walker collection system picks up the debris.the one thing i do is tilt the front of my deck up to the highest setting.this helps with the colection.

3. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

When we used riders we also used the rake attachment. Actually we still use them on our wb's. I still have one for a walker if you're intersted.
  4. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

works very well and is rather cheap. It will pay for itself on two properties
  5. lawnboy30

lawnboy30 LawnSite Member

Hello Henry,

I am interested in the walker thatcher attachment. How much would you ask for it?

Thanks for the reply. I am near Wayne. Please pm me if you still have it.
  6. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Got one this spring. Customers can't believe how much crap we get out of their yards. Well worth the money.
  7. daveslandscaping

daveslandscaping LawnSite Member

Thanks a bunch for the opinion guys. Henry, if you are still looking to sell your attachment I would be interested if it is in decent working order. I live in ocean county and go to school in hoboken. You can reach me via email at dmanning@stevens.edu. Thanks again for the opinions guys.
  8. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Daveslandscaping....If you have thatch that needs to be removed it takes a dethatcher. Springs on the front of a mower are not a dethatcher. They will loosen up a small portion of the dead debris but not cut through the imbedded thatch. When thatch gets to be a problem it is 1/2 inch or more thick and tightly woven together. This is the problem it is a mat that holds out, water nutrients and makes a nice home for insects and disease. It is so tightly matted that springs just will not tear it out.

the past 30 years there have been any number of cute methods of attaching stuff to mowers in hopes of removing thatch. truth is it takes a machine designed to do just that. High speed vertical blades that cut down to the soil to open and remove the thatch.

If you do not have matted and imbedded thatch just some debris use the springs. It it is a matted layer do not expect great things of springs.

9. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Well said Turfcobob. The springs get material up, but not the thatch layer. Customers will be amazed at what comes up, but unfortunatly, its not thatch, its the material that will become thatch down the road. To dethatch, you must use a cutter.
  10. lawncarepros2004

lawncarepros2004 LawnSite Member

i have one of those walker attachments that i have used maybe twice. Not a good choice for dethaching. Excellent condition. Will sell for $150.