1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Walker Tire Size and Ride Quality

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kubotafan, Oct 7, 2010.

1. kubotafan

kubotafan LawnSite Member

The Walkers have smaller tire size than most ZTR's. Does this give them a rougher ride or does the overall design help give a smoother ride? Many of the lawns I mow are what I would call a yard rather than a manicured lawn.

2. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I have an MC, 2002 model, and I must say that the rough ride is probably the worst thing about it. It has the cheap seat, and can really jar you around on rough ground. I don't use it a lot, only for smaller properties, and have gotten kind of used to it, though. A suspension seat would help substantially, I'm sure. I keep thinking I'll put one on it, but it is hard for me to justify spending the money on a mower I don't run but a couple of hours a week.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I prefer the standard tire and run it on the soft side to smooth out the ride. I tried the "low profile" tires but there is very little flex in the sidewall.