walker users

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LP, Apr 21, 2002.

1. LP

LP LawnSite Member

Other than adding the stronger tention spring, does any one know how to increase the ground speed on walker units?
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Walker has a "speed-up kit" for their mowers. Your dealer can order it for you. :)
  3. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Install a smaller pulley on the engine side of the jackshaft that drives the hydros. You may have to install a shorter belt. Use a 2 piece pulley and go for it.

A few years ago we turned a 25HP up a few hundred rpm's and installed a pulley that was about the same diameter as the jackshaft housing and it would run over 10 miles an hour. After a couple of days we installed a larger pulley because no one would drive it more than once. It was the most sensitive piece of equipment we had ever attempted to operate. We were running a 61" deck and had 2 50# bags of fertilizer in the hopper but the mower handled like it had a 36" deck and an empty hopper.
  4. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Your dealer will have the speed up pulley available. It works better on the 25-26 petrol or 21hp diesel better than on the
    16-20 hp motors. Don't speed it up faster than that. The controls
    are touchy enough as it is.
    If you want speed,get a Hustler Super Z.
  5. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

Jeez... my walker's bumpy enough as it is at full speed. I wouldn't want to go any faster unless I added some sort of suspension to ease my back.
  6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

You are right about the ride. I do not see how some guys stay on their seats mowing the speeds they say they do on LS. You can only mow so fast and still do a good job. And Walker knows that.
    As for a suspension seat you can get one from your Walker dealer. They run about $600 to $700. But worth it, I just got one.

Oldtimer, I am still laughing at your high speed Walker, and the fact that nobody would drive it after the first time. I would have liked to see that.
  7. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I added the speed up kit this year. It really does make a difference. I also added the tail wheel lock and it helps to keep things under control at top speed. I would recommend both. Although the speed up kit is about $18.00 and the tail wheel lock is $300.00 !!
  8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Lee, I put a bigger pulley on my Walker than the one Walker sells for the speed up. It definately speeded things up for those runs to dump the bin and back but there were control problems. If I was the only one running it, it would probaly be better but my wife and kids use it. We ended up getting a MTD Pro Z and now use it on the lawns we can get away without collecting. The smaller lawns were the ones that really wanted the grass collected anyway so the speed wasn't needed there. Try the speed up pulley first and if it's not fast enough go to a farm suply store and get the next size pulley, you'll have to change belt length as it is hard on the spring adjuster.
  9. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i put that speed up pulley on mine and i really can't notice a difference. still feels like i'm in slow motion .i'm going to try an even smaller one.as far as seats go ,you can get all kinds of seats from a northern tool catalog.soft,suspension. etc.and they're reasonable.i wouldn't pay $700 for an air seat for my tractor trailer rig let alone a lawn mower.that's insane!
  10. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I Agree! One thing I find that is getting old is the big time$$ for anything Walker. Sure takes ALOT of lawns to do those bucks!