Walker vs. Midmount ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cward, Nov 29, 2004.

1. cward

cward LawnSite Member

I am thinking about buying a Walker or the new Exmark for next year. I was hoping someone could tell me how differently or similiarly they compare on slopes and such with the midmount ZTR's. Thanks.

2. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I think for large open flat areas the midmount is better because of speed, but for smaller areas with hills the walker is best. alot of guys on here say walkers cant hold a hill but i can put a walker anywere a walk behind can go and a midmount cant, back when i worked for a lco the other guys used to place bets on weather i was gonna be able to cut a hill or not most bet i wouldnt be able to but there hasnt been a hill yet i cant get a walker on. i say walker all the way if you have some larger areas also get a 52" or a 62" side discharge deck.

3. lawncat

lawncat LawnSite Member

What you buy is largely dependent on what your properties require. Wissel is right--for wide open mowing a midmount will work best for you but the minute you need to start manuevering, the Walker is a pure winner! A Walker with a 52 or 62 side disc deck is very stable on slopes, and will usually do slopes that no other mid mount can do without tire damage.

Your local Walker dealer should have a demo unit for you to take out and try on various properties. It is a little different at first but after about 30 minutes you get the hang of it and see just how easy and efficient thay can be.