Walker VS. Navigator?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kevinsky, Jul 10, 2005.

1. kevinsky

kevinsky LawnSite Member
    from Nevada

For me, the Walker has been the best machine I have owned. I just received a brochure on the Navigator. Is this machine new for 2005? How does it compare to the Walker?

2. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

Please someone reply! I'd love to hear about the Navigator...local dealer has one and looks like a solid machine, and I also saw them at the Congress Expo in Toronto this past winter.

I'm leary to try something new, even though its modelled after the very succesful Walker. We run Exmark ZTR's and WB's so we may just take the plunge.

If anyone knows anything give us a heads up. Thanks

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I tried one, It does cut faster then the walker, it seemed better in the wet too.

I dont think it will have the problems that a new design can have, since the design has been around for awhile.

If you are a walker fan stay with them but if you are interested in the navigator take one out for a drive. Make sure its wet.

John

4. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

Are they both relatively similar? I'm not very familiar with the Walkers myself....

But one thing I noticed, maybe just my eyes, was that the grass collecting system (couldn't think of the word) seemed substantially bigger on the exmark....

5. John Gamba

from ct

I think the box is the same size. It is just like the walker but the complaints that the walker had where addressed on the navigator. The drive is different, pumps and wheel motors.

But you drive it the same as the walker. I hope exmark comes out with the high lift dump and a power broom.

John

6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

One major difference is about a much higher blade tip speed, and faster drive. i have used a walker and it was an awesome machine and i might demo a navigator just to see whats going on with it

7. John Gamba

from ct

Dont forget about the bigger blower.

John

8. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

What about the price? Any one know of the prices? I woulnd think that exmark will be cheaper price wise. Any quess?

9. Shortchained

Shortchained LawnSite Member

The price quoted from dealer in Oakland NJ was:
    Exmark nav. 20hp 48" $10,200.00
    Exmark nav. 27hp 48" $11,200.00
    Walker w/hd gear box 42" or 48" $8800.00

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I owned a Walker for many years, and found that all the other Walker look- alikes did not come close in dependability or performance. I would be very careful about dumping a bunch of money on a new, unproven machine like the Navigator. Give Exmark a few years to get the bugs out of them. There will be problems, there almost always are on new, first year machines. Look at the problems that Exmark has on their new 26" mower. If they can not produce such a simple machine without startup problems, who knows how many problems will show up in the Navigator over a period of time. I still say that if you want the Walker cut and Walker performance, buy a Walker.