1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker vs. Scag Cougar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnmedicCC, Aug 5, 2005.

1. lawnmedicCC

lawnmedicCC LawnSite Member

I thought I was sold on Walker, but checked out the Cougar. It's almost identical...but $2,100 less than the Walker! Question is...which would you go with? I'm looking for some help!
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Do a search.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Been brought u0p many times before. Personal preference really. I have heard from others that the Scag is of lower quality but that is a matter of opinon. Demo both and see what you think. Might want to look at Exmarks Navigator too if that is the type of mower you are specifically looking at.
  4. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Just keep in mind ,although I love Scag, that they don't make that model anymore. Not sure why, but it would leave me wondering.
  5. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard many bad things about the Cougar. I see both in my area but I have heard that it brings many problems and i think that is why scag cancelled it. I bought an older version last fall for cleanups and it just wasnt what i thought it was. I would spend the extra bucks and get a walker.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have a Cougar and the Walker and each have their advantages. The big advantage on the Cougar is you can convert it from bagger to mulcher in about 10 minutes. And you can take the plate off and discharge out the side of the deck. The disadvantage is that it is heavy and a little harder to handle around building etc. The Cougar had an advantage in the ground speed was higher when you went to dump, but Walker has a fix for that. The Walker gives a little better cut but...not much better. Since it is lower to ground it is nice to get on/off and to get around building etc. The Walker lower center of gravity makes it a pain to get on/off trailer and not much of a curb jumper. The new Walker curb jumper ramp works real good since you can sit it down and pick it up without getting off the truck. Both of these machines are built like tanks and are very reliabile. I didn't know you could still get Cougar since it isn't going to continue in production. I would think you could get some deals on them. No deals on Walker they are pricey..and if you take in account that you need three decks ...
  7. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

Have you looked at the Exmark Navigater? Looks like a solid unit from what I've seen.
  8. matth04

matth04 LawnSite Member

I don't own either, but I was talking to a guy who had a Walker, and he said the frame that supports the bagger is cracked on both sides. He has only had his for 2 years, but he does have 75 accounts.
  9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

tell him to quit backing into things so hard. the ages on mine are 2-8 years old. no broken frames.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

HUSTLER HAS SOME GREAT BAGGING OPTIONS.........BUT Isnt There A Bobcat Model In This Category Too ?