1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker walk behind??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nlminc, Nov 5, 2002.

1. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Has anyone bought one of these yet? Not even sure if they are available. Just looking for feedback on its performance etc...
  2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I think they will be out in the market in the spring.
  3. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I checked one out at Louisville Expo and it was not worth it. it to me looked like a unit just thrown together with wierd controls. Walker makes a good out front deck mower. they need to stick to that and let exmark, toro, and the others build the walkbehinds.

4. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Never seen one in person but they do look like they're set up funky.
  5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

let me tell ya about Walker!!!!

Bob Walker quote!!!! "it's not a Walker...till it's a Walker!!!"

they make nothing halfass!!!

look at their equipment, QUALITY............ look at their track record!

till ya run one, ya can't give your opinion!!!

they'll be out soon!!! let's see!!!

6. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

they do look somewhat strange, but the decks are interchangable with the side discharge decks that you may have w/ your sitdown unit. like capt. devo said walker does build QUALITY!!!! hope to demo one if my dealer gets one in
  7. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with captdevo. This is not the first "throw together" for Walker. This machine has been in the work for a while.

Why leave it to the big boys when you can do better? Do you back out when a national competes against you? No way! you jump in and show what personal quality means. Walker does their homework. their quality shows through....check out the perfaerator. A bunch of guys around here are waitng to buy...trying to see if there is a market...My message "absolutely no way! this is an overpriced machine that won't do the job"

Mine will be here in february and I plan to make a lot of $$$ before the others figure it out!

Walker is not a huge company, just the best for some of our applications!.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda reminds me of the old gravely w/b tractor units. They just need a bushhog and tiller attachment to go with it.:D

I drove it around at Louisville also. It was an interesting machine. I do remember the controls were very touchy. It would take some getting used to.

I don't understand why they want to make a w/b though?? They can't be that much cheaper than the rider and anyplace their w/b would go so would their 42" rider. Same deck. So it doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm missing something.
  9. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Maybe for hills:rolleyes:

It was made so that Mr.Walker can put more jingle in his hand warmers.
  10. JohnstownMower

JohnstownMower LawnSite Member

I went to the Walker Factory Day today and got to demo one of two of these machines that they have made. I have never before used a walk-behind, but it seemed to be a very good design. (Tilt-up deck, easy engine maintenance) They are working on a sulky for it. No one I talked to was sure on what these will retail for, but they said that they will be available for Spring 2003.