Walker warms up, cuts out

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by alister, Aug 23, 2006.

1. alister

alister LawnSite Member
    from KC, MO

Hey all,

I'm a homeowner with a need to cut grass (.75 acre) as fast as possible because I work so much. I recently upgraded from my Murray to a used Walker GHS. I love it!

It is about 10 years old with 450 hours on it. The previous owner said he did regular maintenance on it so I felt good about the sale. I know no other major details than that. It'll need some new belts in the near future. That's about the only defect I initially see.

The downside -- I think I'm on about the 6th or 7th use of it and I've noticed I've had to use more and more choke to keep it idle where lately I'm at nearly 2/3 open (unthinkable on my GSXR cycle) while operating. The last two times I've mowed I also have had it stutter a time or two on decent inclines. Well tonight I was almost done and it started to idle pretty low and cut out a time or two. I cut the blades off and parked it but it had a heck of time running after that with any load on its Kohler. I checked the oil again, added gas to tank, and cleared the air filter (look fairly clean). No dice.

I'm going to check the fuel filter soon but that's about the limit of my mechanic skills. Does anyone have any other ideas? I think I need to find a local mechanic to look her over too.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If your not mechanically inclined that may be a good idea, That could be cheaper in the long run than getting into it and find you can't (don't know how) to perform the repair and end up taking to a shop in a box.
    Most shops will charge extra in these cases.
  3. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

If not fuel filter, some junk in carb,fuel tank screen.I would take carb float bowl off, remove jets & blow air into them,and also check behind float needle for grit/dirt.Possibly fuel tank screen..spark plug
  4. alister

alister LawnSite Member
    from KC, MO

For what it's worth, it was simply the fuel filter and a dirty carb. We went ahead and changed the plug, cleaned the tank, and cleaned out the intake setup. It runs better than when I got it now and requires no choke at all now after the startup. Thanks again.