Walker warranty..transferrable ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffyr, Apr 8, 2001.

1. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a used 2000 walker --does anyone know if the warranty is transferrable ? The dealer says no.

While I have your attention walker owners-I have 2 small questions.

1. Was there a recall on the safety switch for the blade engagement ? I thought I remember reading about it. Mine went last week and the dealer replaced the switch with an "improved" marine quality switch. Is this sounding familiar ?

2. There is a small amount of oil soaked buildup under the one blade gearbox I noticed when I changed blades last--is this seal easily replaceable. Is it just changing a gasket and topping off the fluid ?

thanks

jeffyr

2. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

jeffyr...

On my experience (I bought a 1995 in 1996 From someone with 700 hours on it) there was never a question that it wasn't still under the three year warrenty. In I think 1997 they had the problem with the gearbox which at the same time I chipped an axle, so they replace the gear box, and that took care of my problem, didn't cost me a cent. Unless my dealer was really nice, or your dealer doesn't want to deal with it.

3. jeffyr

Also,

has walker changed their webaddress (walkermow.com) ? They used to have Walkertalk, etc. at this address.
    and is there a specific person to email/contact to when I have a problem ?

4. Skippy

Skippy LawnSite Member
    from Maine

5. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Regards the seal. Not hard at all. I have already done this and was not a problem.
    Regards the safety switch, I used to wash my equipment way too much. I thought it was a good thing to do. Found out that you can clean things too much. At some point you wash a little too much lube away. Can lead to early failure of bearings or failure of electrical switches. Maybe that is why the dealer put a "marine" switch on.
    I still consider these problems kinda minor and just keep an eye on everything.
    I believe I would call Walker directly. I did this on a couple of occasions and they always helped out.
    Cleve.

6. jeffyr

Thanks Cleve.

I'll pick up the seal MOnday.

jeffyr

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The only part that should be washed is the deck. I found out the hard way. I ended up replacing most every switch and bearing on the unit. I only use air to clean off engin and hydro area. Havn't had any problems in 4 years with switches or bearings.

Gene

8. jeffyr

In that case, I was the cause of the problem. I hosed it all off last week. Next time I'll use the backpack.

jeffyr

9. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

I didn't mean to infer that you can't wash the mower. In fact, that was one of the things I did discuss with Walker. Everything on the mower is designed to be washed if necessary. I guess I am one of those people that wants everything super clean all the time. I was washing mine weekly when I first got it. Even waxed the outside. Hey, I was proud of it. I have learned now to be a little more careful when washing it. Not as often and after it has dried I lube everything. Even spray Tri-Flow or Superlube on the switches.
    Cleve.