1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

walker warranty

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walkerrider, May 29, 2000.

1. walkerrider

walkerrider LawnSite Member

Would welcome any walker owner feedback regarding warranty requests. Seems I wacked a hidden stump with my 48" deck. The balde shear pin didn't shear and the drive shaft pin did but not before the spindle gear housing exploded. Seems Like the gear box failed along the edge where the bolt was drilled creating a weak spot. Don't know if I should push for the warranty repair or if I should just write this off to operator error. Any feedback is welcome. Particularly if you own or have owned a Walker and have delat with them on warranty issues. Lastly, Any ideas what this mistake is going to cost me. Has anyone replaced a gearbox on a Walker before. It is only one side of the deck. Thanks in advance

2. slingshot

slingshot LawnSite Member
    from pa

whatever you do dont tell them you hiy somthing or they will tell you to kiss off i love walker mowers for alot of reasons and i hate them for alot of reasons mostly warantee stuff when a gearbox explodes it makes alot of damage to the deck on the outher hand if the sheer pins break and the blades hit it does the same damage i think it is a stupid design mine blew up from everyday use they did not want to warantee it so what i did was write a letter on the pc to the walker site and they took care of it but it took a while about 3 months so i was out 750.00 for 3 months i dont think a dealer will put only one box on and now im in a big battle over a blown motor with 400 hrs on it if you need more info e mail me omerta17@aol.com

3. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I too blew one of my gear boxes last week.I hit a tree stump.I have a 54'' and the center gear box houseing cracked.I had to replace it becouse it would not hold oil.I have not checked into warrenty yet.Let me know if you can get money back on warrenty.Usually the shear pins will break first but this time the gear box did.Let me know what happens!I will give you an email adress to a service rep at Walker.Both of us can compain untill they give in.I have free time!If you want we can email them 100 times a day each untill they give in:).I get you that e-mail adress tomorow.Hope this helps!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Adam, is that your 54&quot; gear box laying at Kitchener Tractor? I was just there dropping my mower off. My wife broke a shear pin last week, the first time it has ever happened.

5. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Let me try to explain how I got my gearbox replaced under warranty. I only got away with this once because my Dealer also believed my theory. :) <p>On the 48&quot; GHS deck, the blades counter rotate. But the blade nuts are both right hand thread. Now if you hit something hard, this can cause one blade nut to become tighter. And even if the the shear bolts break the blades will still rotate and will start hitting each other and one side can continue to tighten. And when this happens is when the gear box will break. Something has to give, and with the tightened nut it is usually the gear box. Also on the other hand, the other nut can loosen and the blade can fall off.<p>This is one reason that it is very important to torque your blade nuts to the factory spec's and not use an air impact wrench. Also even during normal use the one blade can become over tightened. But if you change blades on a regular basis this should not be a problem. I notice this more often durning fall leaf clean up when I use my worn blades and don't change them very often. So about twice a week I re-torgue my blades during clean-up.<p>Another thing Walker folks need to pay attention too, is the blade break. Keep it adjusted and watch for wear. I believe that when you release the blade handle the blades are supposed to stop in less than 2 or 3 seconds. If kept at factory spec, this can also help reduce gearbox dammage if something is hit.<p><br>Jim<p><p>

6. AB Lawn Care

from Ontario

I have never email him yet but here is an email adress to a guy at Walker I hope we can be repaid for the gear box.<p>dennisc@walkermowers.com<p>cantoo-I don't think that was my deck.It was fixed in a day about 2 weeks ago.Have you talked much to bill kid????<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

7. Hello Everybody:<p>As far as I know this is all I know about warranties & sorry about your bad luck!<p>Warranties are a mile long, but they all boil down to this.<p>The warranty covers materials, defects & workmanship for a certain length of time.<p>It will not cover hitting a stump.<p>If you buy a $40K Chevy truck & leave the lot & you run the stop light & total out the truck. Do you take it back to the dealer & make him repair or replace it under warranty?<p>This is the bad part about being in business. But look at all those days you made real good money!<p>No Pain, NO Gain!<p>Been there, Done that!!!!!<p><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

8. Nilsson Associates

Nilsson Associates LawnSite Member

listen to grassmaster, he's an expert when comes to equip.<p>A-1

9. AB Lawn Care

from Ontario

oops!<p><font size="1">Edited by: AB Lawn Care

10. AB Lawn Care

from Ontario

I would not go for warranty work if I just sheared some pins and wrecked some blades.I am going after warranty becouse the gear box should never blow if the pins don't shear.For all I know that box may have been faulty?Don't you agree?<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care