Walker will not crank.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Turfer, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Turfer

Turfer LawnSite Member

I am having problems getting the 20hp kohler to turn over. I put this engine in last year so it only has 118 hours. I know the battery is good. It acts like one of the safety switches is bad because it will just not turn over. I have checked the switch in the seat, on the pto and on the forward speed lever and they all seem okay. Am I missing one ? We had allot of rain last week and I worked through it so the Walker got wet and was not started for 2 days. How can I tell if the starter is bad ? Help before it goes to the dealer!

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Turfer,

The switch that is activated by the handle for turning the blades on has given me the most problems of all the safty switches.

As for the starter, usually dirt gets in it and the bendix makes strange noises either ingaging or hangs up when disengaging. Don't rule out the battery because these little ones don't last long. Your altanator might not be putting out enough to keep the battery charged. I have been through all of this in the last month.

Gene

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Corrosion on battery terminals?

Scott

4. Arnold

Arnold LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

"loose battery cables" Who no's it could be a bad safety switch. Its alway easy to look at the easy things a second time hope you get it started before you have to take it to the dealer good luck!

5. mower17

mower17 LawnSite Member
    from la

I have had trouble with the starter cylinoid not long after buying a new mower with a kohler engine. Try bypassing the cylinoid with jumper cables.

6. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

You can isolate the motor from the safety switches to make sure the switches aren't causing the problem. I believe it is the white wire in the harness that comes from the motor. Check your wiring diagram that came with your service manual. If it starts ok after disconnecting that wire you know it is one of the switches.

7. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

first, check circuit breaker near battery and make sure your getting juice thru it to ignition switch and to starter relay (has yellow, red and black wires)....

test the starter solenoid.....12v test light, touch blue wire as someone turns the key, get juice, solenoid is bad, no light...... check yellow wire on ignition switch (no juice, bad switch) and after relay from ignition switch. (no juice, check ground to relay, good ground,bad relay)

let me know...
    Dave