Walker with 3000 hours? take or no...what do u guys think

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shade tree landscaping, Apr 21, 2007.

1. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Unit is a used 2003 Walker mower with a 48" deck and 20 hp Kohler motor. Unit is zero turn and has the 9.5 bushel catcher. Hour meter reads 3176 hours. Engine runs smooth, no smoking or knocking and hydros perform with no hiccups or jerkiness. Everything works as it should. The 48" deck takes two blades.

thats what the dealer writes. just wondering if u guys think its a good deal or no. Any one have any pros or cons on running a walker? thanks in advance

2. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the asking price? Just in general id be ready to spend some money on maintinance with the idea that the machine is probably 3/4 or more of the way used up. Have you ever drive a walker? Depends what you want to do with it and what grass you are mowing with it for the pros and cons if its cool season grass you can do good job with a walk behind or z but bermuda i havent seen anything that will touch a walker for quality of cut

3. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

If they are asking under 2k, go for it. I wouldn't spend a penny more for a mower with that many hours on it.

Engine and pumps are due to fail any time.

Motor is about 1500 just for the motor, pumps are about 600 each. Could get costly quick. Don't throw good into bad.

4. Ford Guy

Ford Guy LawnSite Member

Walker claims that their mowers are good for 5000 hours and during that time you would have to overhaul an engine once, so if that's been done already, might be a good deal, if not maybe stay away from it, but depends really on asking price, if you're getting it cheap enough you might be able to put some money into it before you use it

5. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

The walker mower is in a class all by itself. It is the most universal grooming mower on todays market. They are able to bag, mulch, discharge, aerate, plow, dethatch, and so forth. The mowing deck is under your feet and not your ass like a sgag saving you weed eating time under bushes ect. If its at a fair price get it and maintain it often. There are alot of grease points so lube often. If you get the perferator deck for it, that has to be lubed every 4 hours of use. The perferator is very hard on a walker. VERY HARD!

6. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I would stay away from it as you do not know how well it was cared for.. My dealer states that,on average a walker motor is done at 3000 hours. Good luck.

7. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I would agree with zx that if you get 3000 out of a walker engine you are doing good but should have money in hand to replace it. Ive seen the engines go at 1000 hours and ive seen them go at 4000 so its just a matter to when.