Walker with 48" deck not collecting well

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gardenpro, Apr 29, 2003.

1. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

Picked up my brand new 20hp 48" deck walker today. I had read that they are extremely thorough while sucking up debris.
    There is a lot of debris shooting out the two vents on either side near the decks rear. The lawn is dry and short. The debris is shooting out onto sidewalks and the road.
    At first I thought they gave the the side discharge deck by an accident, but it's coming from the two vents.
    I'm pretty sure it's just that I don't know what I'm doing, can anyone tell me what is happening? Thanks.

2. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like it is plugged up. Check out the path that the grass has to take to get into the hopper such as the deck where the grass intake is and up the tube thru the blower and into the hopper. Raise up the hopper door and turn the blades on and check that it is blowing out air. You should not have any trouble with dry stuff.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure the screen in the hopper is clean. The screen lets the air flow thru allowing the debris to be sucked into the hopper if the screen is clogged the air backs up and you get something similar to what you are describing.
    Also make sure your deck, intake chute, and path from the blower to the hopper are not clogged or coated with debris.
    Let us know what happens. Good Luck.

4. LAWNPROzII

LAWNPROzII LawnSite Member

Your clogged,

#1 check intake under deck
    #2 lift body check blower
    #3 check blower chute

These are the three places I always check when ours doesn't pick up well or has blow out.

5. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

I checked for clogs and there were none. I bought it, brought it home, and did my front lawn which took about 2 minutes, there really isn't any way it could be clogged. I bought the optional 3/4" screen and it doesn't even have grass on it.
    Grass is spraying from the two vents as if it is mulching. Maybe the vents can be closed. I'll go check. In the brochure that shows all of the decks, the 48" is the only one with these two vents, that I can tell. Thanks.

6. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

You WILL get a small amount of blowout from the vents on the 48 GHS deck, especially if the grass is real dry, but it should not be enough to cause any problems. I think I would ask my dealer to take a look to determine if there was some other problem.

You may also want to go to the Walker website and send them an e-mail. I have done this with questions before, and they are timely and complete in their responses.

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

DO NOT close the vent's on the deck, this is necessary for the vacuum action to take place, they are designed in, NOT an afterthought.

Check your impeller, clean your screen in the hopper, clean your chute from the impeller to the hopper.

Expect some blowout in short dry grass, you wont even see it in the grass once you pass by. Anything more that you can see or clumping would indicate to me a clog somewhere.

Clean out every nook and cranny under the deck. These decks are made to vacuum up debris, the cleaner you keep the underside of the deck the better it works.

8. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 48" deck also and grass does blow out the vents but this is by design. I got caught in rain today and was cutting thick,wet grass. I was going very slow and the machine still clogged. The chute going into the hopper was clogged,the passage going into the blower was clogged,the vents were clogged,the deck was caked with grass......it was a mess. I finished the back with the walker and cut the front with a 48" WB skag. This was my first time cutting tall,thick,wet grass with the walker.From now on in those conditions,I will use the 48" or the 52" WB skags. Does everyone else encounter what I have described?

PS:In dry grass,I love the walker as it does a great job,not to mention the time and wear and tear on myself.

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Does everyone else encounter what I have described?

YES.

GHS and wet grass = MESS and 1 Pizzed off operator. I have the 52SD deck that gets put on in the wet. Then its all :D

10. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I had a twig stuck vertically in the tube took a while to find would not pick up. Check the box. check the discharge to box had dirt
    buildup at discharge elbow to box. Ed