walker with 48 gsh

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greengrower, Feb 9, 2007.

1. greengrower

greengrower LawnSite Member

I can't make up my mind on a commercial mower.Will be mowing yards in the atlanta georgia area and need advice.I have researched the walkers but I don't see many people here talking about them.Are the walker mowers ok for the average yard or? thanks

2. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

:cool2: maby I can help I have used a walker at my regular job thay shine at bagging that bad side is there are slow for open mowing if you are looking for a mowing to bag walker is the machine because of there small size you can get up close to things I hope this was a help

3. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on what kind of grass you are mowing and will you want to bag or not? Is it wide area or tight close spaces? Match your needs with a mower i have 2 walkers for smaller areas, but for wide areas i have a grasshopper. Kinda like a truck if you need to tow a trailer you dont buy a ford ranger you get a f250 or f 350 but if your driving alot of miles and dont have to tow anything then you get the ford ranger. Same idea with mowers its just what do you want them to do? Walkers are great mowers in my opinion

4. greengrower

the yards are bermuda and some zoysia most of the yards average 7000 sq ft about 1/6 of an acre some up to 1/2 acre lots of tight places curbs etc thanks for your response.

5. pclawncare

Walker sound like a great machine for you if you are wanting to bag your grass. I mow about 95% bermuda and they provide a great cut. If your careful they do not scalp which is very easy to do with bermuda

6. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

See if you can demo a Walker and and Exmark Navigator. Both should do the job for you, just depends on what manufacturer and dealer you wish to deal with.

7. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Walker also has side discharge and mulching decks if you don't want to bag everything. On 7000 sqft yards you probably don't have room to side discharge with out doing a lot of extra cleanup.

8. pclawncare

Honestly i would stay away from the navigator for now. I have demoed one and compared it side by side with my 18hp. Too many things to list. Walker started it everyone else is just trying to copy it. Make the decision for your self but i wouldnt want to be the test rat on a 10 thousand dollar machine. I would go with what is proven and has been proven already just my thoughs

9. greengrower

I looked at both mowers and studied the mowers.The walker like you said has been around longer and are priced the same.I have a question for you.Can I just mow the Bermuda with out bagging?yes i know there will be clean up.Ill edge and blow after the mowing ,but is it common to always bag the Bermuda with your past experience?It's a lot of work ,but i want the yard to look very good. thanks

10. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

the nice things about a Walker is bagging is not a big deal anymore unless the grass is just super high. I just back mine up on the trailer and dump it in front and go back to mowing. I have the 9.5 bushel hoper and most in town 5-10K yards I can mow sometimes 3 of them before having to dump. I usually go ahead and dump after mowing 1 yard unless they are side by side just to keep the weight down. I used to bag with the accelerator bagger on my other mower before the walker and there is absolutely no comparison. The Walker is so much easier to bag with.

The only things I wish I could change about my Walker, they have changed now. Bigger blower for less clogging and bigger engine - standard 23hp instead of 20hp.

BTW, I mow about 95% bermuda also. It is the fastest machine I have ever mowed with for these size properties. (about 5-10K)