walker wont hold a hill

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by davis, Jul 27, 2004.

1. davis

davis LawnSite Member

does any body no how to make a walker hold a hill
  2. grillonz

grillonz LawnSite Member

Apart from backing up or mowing the hill with the top wheel slightly ahead of the lower one (ie mowing on a slight downward angle), you coulsd try the all terrain tires from Walker.
    Walkers are not the best mowers for mowing a hill
    Happy mowing
  3. 42homers

42homers LawnSite Member

Put hands on it?
  4. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

We don't use front mounts any more for just that reason. However a few seasons ago we used a Kubota diesel front mount and there were spring preloads for the deck. If these preloads were adjusted up it transfered more weight from the casters on the mower deck, to the drive wheels on the front of the unit. This seemed to help as much as anything.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

What deck do you have? The Walkers are bad hill holders when a few things occur. Mowing a hill you shouldn't be on. Mowing a wet hill. Small deck (42 and even 48 for some inexperienced operators) don't have enough to keep the front down. Wrong tires for the hill, lo pro's are made for hills and ATV tires work but are NOT for inexperienced operators unless you hate your customers and want to lose them. A tail wheel lock works in some hill situations but I find that my Walker does decent hills with no problems. I have a 52" deck tacked on and I hold them well.

Too bad you can't get the thing to do what you want it to do. I know that bigger ZTRS will work for me too but its a wash for time. Mayby you should start demoing some other mowers to see what works for you and the properties that you own. A Walker might not be for you but it certainly is helping me make some bucks. Good Luck.

BTW I do this one up and down as well as 6 others with similar and in some places steeper slopes. This is a pic of pre leaf season and I even get the 42GHS deck to stick and collect but now I mulch just about all leaves with the 52SD.

bellefall02 014.jpg
  6. davis

davis LawnSite Member

i have a 48 inch deck and the hill is about the same. i might try a ztr ::blob2: exmark 44 or hydro walk behind
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Yes the light decks originally had me frustrated too and then I got the 52SD with double blades. I was ready to sell the mower also until I used that deck. I aint gonna tell you what to do but I switched from bagging grass for my customers to letting it fly with the 52 and I love the machine now.
    You already own the thing, see if you can get a distributor to let you demo a 52 or a 62 sd deck. I know it aint as fast as a Z on flat outs but I have used Z's on my properties and end up finishing within 15 minutes because of the trimming I have to do when using a Z. I love the speed of a Z but I HATE trimming. Good Luck.
  8. davis

davis LawnSite Member

a 52 want fit in the back gates 48walker deck is the biggest or a reg 44 plus i want to use the machine on small lawns. i have to find something more versatile and will bag or side discharge for me:blob2: :blob2: i have a scag for my big lawns that i use i even thought about a 36 deck for the walker until the hill issue came along and the rip off dealer in this area