1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walker won't start, electrical problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DennisW, Mar 25, 2005.

1. DennisW

DennisW LawnSite Member

The battery is fully charged, and it was winterized last fall. Now there is no click, no nothing. It's MT.
    I am trying to check the fuses at the battery (and circuit breaker) but I can't figure out either what the fuse looks like- or what to do with the fuse if I find its shot. Doesn't look like any fuse I've ever seen.
    Also trying to figure out what to do with the circuit breaker- it should be either manual or auto reset, but there is no button or switch on it.
    Any other ideas what it might be?
    It isn't a battery connection/ground problem.

2. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I had a problem in one of the sensors, that tells the walker you are sitting on it, or tells the walker you have the blades on, I had to get mowing that day, so i just hot wired it, snipped all connections to the sensors and wired em up. It worked to start it, but the blade sensor is a really strange beast, you have to reset the distance on it when you hot wire it, or when the blades are engaged, it runs at half power??? Once I got all that done, it has worked great ever sense, but I would not recommend this as an answer, take it in and get it looked at. I just really had no choice at the time (long weekend of mowing)
  3. turfmastersplus

turfmastersplus LawnSite Member

make sure your speed lever is all the way back aginst the safty switch
  4. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

are all safety switches working ok pto clutch off mower in neutral emergency brake on if all is ok are you sure no electricity is getting to the starter relay?need to check with test light ,also make sure all terminals are tight and power getting to ignition switch
  5. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

same problem with myn, brought it to the dealer,. he said the switch was shot, warrenty work. got new switch.
  6. Mowmoregrass

Mowmoregrass LawnSite Member

Take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the plunger in and out of the blade safety switch. Also check the purple wire to the starter.

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

if the oil lights etc. do not come on at all and your sure its not the batterry connections, its a bad key switch
  8. DennisW

DennisW LawnSite Member

Thanks for all these ideas. It's getting dark, I'll try them out in the morning. It must be one of these.
  9. Mowmoregrass

Mowmoregrass LawnSite Member

The purple wire comes out of the relay. I have seen the wire corrode at the back up the relay.
  10. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

maybe check the wires on the coil.