1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WalkerMower 26hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SWR11, Mar 17, 2003.

1. SWR11

SWR11 LawnSite Member

Does anyone now how walker is making out with their fuel injected 26?

What kind of hours do they have?

How fuel efficient are they over carburated?

I love walker mowers, Would mow with anything less to do small work.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 2000 Walker with 26EFI. It is an excellent motor and I would not hesitate to buy another one.

The 26EFI came out in 99 for the Walkers in limited production and then released to all dealers in 2000. There was only one problem and that was a design problem with the fuel pump. The screen in the pump was too fine of a mesh and the pumps were working too hard. The fix was a warranty issue and was done by my dealer. Since then I have around 800 hours PROBLEM FREE. It starts every time, cold or hot. It has plenty of power to run anything Walker sells. I have a 52SD and a 42GHS. I do many steep hills on a riverbank and it never misses a beat.
    It is much better on gas than the 25hp carbed junker that Kohler used to sell. I know, I had one of those too.

You won't go wrong with the 26EFI. Just so you know, they are coming out with a 29EFI LC jobber later this summer, go to Walkers site.
  3. SWR11

SWR11 LawnSite Member

Hey mow ed

Does the 26 have a enought balls to run the 48 ghs wide open?

I currently run the 42 ghs with a 16:D

Did they recall all 26's to this year with that pump problem?

How many hours do you get out of a oil change for the motor?

Thanks again
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I also have the 2000 model with the 26efi Kohler. I run the 48" GHS and 52" deck. I have ran wide open with the GHS deck only in the summer when the grass is dry and thin, not otherwise. Since I have bought the 52" deck, I just use the GHS deck for spring and fall cleanups and scalping. I use the 52" deck for summer mowing. Both deck give an equally beautiful cut. As far as fuel consumption, I have heard reports stating that the 20hp carburated Kohler and the 26hp EFI Kohler consume the same about of fuel.

Good luck
  5. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I use to have the 20hp and now have the 26efi...the 26efi does better on fuel. I also push my 62in deck (side discharge) just fine with it. The only problem Ive had is the fuel filter/screen at the bottom of the tank gets plugged-up I have to change it about twice a year
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The 26 has plenty of power, I have a 42GHS and I have a speed up kit also. Before I bought the 52SD I used to run the 42GHS with a rear deflector. I could run wide open in dry stuff in the summer and in some of the lighter growing conditions. In heavy grass it was possible sometimes to even bag at full but the grass had to be dry and the blades had to be sharp.
    To tell ya the truth I don't know if it was a total recall or just a fix as needed service bulletin as I was one of the first to have the problem.
    Oil changes for me are factory recommended at 50 hours in the dusty spring, 100 or so in the summer. It gets a new filter every time the oil is changed and I run Mobil 1 0-30 synthetic. It has not done me wrong.
    You will not regret a 26EFI. I love mine.
  7. SWR11

SWR11 LawnSite Member

Hey mow Ed

I thought walker did not recommend a full synthetic? I company up here ran full synthetic and toke the motor out. Walker came good for 40% of the bill. Some nice of Walker eh
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Dunno but there must have been other issues. Walker loads the hydros with synthetic also.
    The motor problem that Walker took partial care of technically wasn't Walkers problem. Its Kohlers problem. I had a 25 Kohler that scored a cylinder at 100 hours. Walker helped me out with reimbursement for a rental but they didn't have to. If you read in Kohlers manual the do recommend synthetic. I love the stuff.

Walker is a good company and they stand behind their product. I'd say the guy that got 40% really got 40% more than he would of with other manufacturers.
  9. SWR11

SWR11 LawnSite Member

I deffenitly agree mow Ed. Walker is one of the best companies to deal with.