Walkermower's 48" side discharge Need Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John Gamba, Dec 29, 2003.

1. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Does anybody run one of these? And how does it par up to the 52" side discharge. I'm looking to see if they are the same.
    Thanks John

2. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

The 48 walker is a timed deck and the 52 is not. Saves a few gear boxes. We make blades for the 52 but can not make them for the timed deck on the 48.

3. John Gamba

from ct

Well back to the 52"! Thanks roy. Hay what reports are you getting on the 52 SD?
    John

4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

WE ran a 52 walker for about 30 days and with MEG MO blades it did a good job. The mower is a little light for the type of mowing we do. Just need more beef in the mower and that is why we are running the BAD BOY.

5. John Gamba

from ct

Roy
    Why did walker time the 48SD? and you make blades for the 48GHS that are timed why not for the 48"SD?
    John

6. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

John,

I'm also interested in the side discharge model tractor and was wondering if the decks for it were belt driven, or shaft driven like the GHS models.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

The 52" SD deck is belt driven. Walker offers a mulch kit and double blade set up. I run my 52" during the regular mowing season and only use the GHS deck during spring scalping and leaf season. The 52" is a beast. This is a heavy deck....weighing in around 350lbs I think. I love it. Only down fall is discharging grass causes a mess, but don't have a hard time with grass clumping unless grass is tall, thick and full of dew (wet). I have a friend that is a LCO and I noticed the other day he had one of these decks. It looks like it's built more like the 48" GHS deck, shallow. He catches all his grass and I don't think he uses it anylonger. I could ask him if he would like to sell it or put you in contact with him via email?

Does that help?
    Matt

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I got a nearly new 52" SD deck that I bought for about CAN$150 at a sale. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Might just sell it as we have no real use for it. Buy cheap sell high.

9. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Matt...

Have you used the side discharge model Walker mower? The one without GHS. I'm bidding on a larger group of small lots and was wondering if this would be a good choice since there is no bagging involved and these mowers are small and very manuverable.

10. John Gamba

from ct

Mat
    Are you useing the DOUBLE blades when you get clumping? And thank you for your time.
    John