Walkers and 74" cutting deck for large areas.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by apples017, Nov 6, 2007.

1. apples017

apples017 LawnSite Member

ARe the 74" decks for the walkers a good match? AS in not too big and lack of power?

Then why wouldn't a walker with a 74" cut compare with a midmount like a toro then? Is the toro much faster and larger cut?

What I'm trying to say is that couldn't you use the walker for small house yards then put on the 74" deck and do football fields?

Peter

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I don't feel any of the current engine offerings from Walker will push that 74" deck at any great speed to compare to a high powered ZTR.

Maybe the 31 Aegis comes close....

3. slowpoe

slowpoe LawnSite Member

I have a walker 26hp & run a 62" deck all summer & the motor handels it but im not sure about a 74" I mow lawns ranging from 5K sq. ft. up to 3 acers with the 62 & it works great because the walker is so manuverable in tight areas. I only use the 48"GHS deck in the fall for leaf clean up. I bought the mower new in fall of 98 & it is still going pretty strong with 3250hrs on origonal ,motor oil & filter changed at every 50-75 hrs
    The walker will do less turf damage than a mid mount z also & will handle hills after you get experiance. It will not climb up forward but in reverse & sideways it will hold great with the right body english & operating of the controls like traction control units & do not let the rear get to low when on the side of hill & you will be amazed at what you can mow. This is with the 62" deck & low tire pressure (8-10 psi) with 48 deck it will not hold as well:waving: