Walkers And Wet Grass ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SCAPEASAURUSREX, Jun 5, 2003.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Need some advice on what my options are for this thing.. I seems that you cant use the machine when the grass is wet or it's raining.. So My dealer said to get a side discharge deck to use in the rain or on wet grass ??? Or not to use it at all when the weather is wet... any other ideas... Why did I pay all this money for this yellow piece of junk that I can only use during the summer ? whats up with this thing... Anybody else have similar problems and come up with any real solutions ?? Thanks
  2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We run 3 Walkers and Exmark ZTR's and The Walker will give a better finish cut in wet, You need to keep your GHS screen clean!!!! Also Walker offers a larger holed screen for this type of mowing lets more air out for better vacuum. Also raise deck and SLOW down. We have had steady rain up here and parked ALL out ZTR's they clump the grass and make matters worse! The best one we have is a Exmark Hydro W/B best rain machine we have! Light weight doesn't leave ruts. You must keep your GHS chute clean and your intake chute clean. Plus we know don't mow in rain we sent letters to all our customers and explained the policy and not one was upset, in-fact most were happy we took the time to let them know about the new policy. We found we spend 2-3 times longer at properties, they don't look as good as dry cuts and those unsightly grass tire marks everywhere makes it look 100% worse. We do have the 52" decks (discharge) We got the mulching option but kept baffles out but retained the double blades, its a better deck then the gear drive units!
  3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Brian hit it on the head. The screen will make a huge difference. Mowing in wet weather sucks no matter what you use, take it slow and raise the deck a little and it should work fine. I clean the screen off everytime I dump.
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Agreed. Bottom line is, any vacuum rider is going to suck in the rain. Put the deck up, and take it slow. That's about all you can do. :cool:
  5. cvzimm2

cvzimm2 LawnSite Member

I agree with all of the above, particularly cleaning the screen. My question is, has anyone figured out a good way to clean the gunk out of the discharge chute in the field? I'm talking the real sticky stuff. That's where 90% of my clogs occur.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I only use the GHS deck for spring cleans and fall leaves otherwise its the 52SD w/doubles. The wetter the better.

It don't clog and if the chunks get a little big the second pass demolishes it. I was as frustrated as you a few years ago. I had the no catch deflector and that was ok in the dry but the wet was bad. I will never go back to a GHS for summer mowing, wet or dry.

june3 125.jpg
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Have Any Of You Tryed The 48" side discharge deck? The Only Reason I'm Holding Out On a walker Is I Hear They Don;t Do well in wet And It's Been wet Here In Conn.
  8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have never had a problem with my Walker in wet grass. Using one in wet grass just involves a learning curve. If using the mulching deck, you can get some mush and clumps. I just slow down, and sometimes have to run over some heavy areas a second time. We mowed in wet grass all day yesterday, and the lawns looked great. Keep the blades very SHARP.
    When using the GHS deck, again, just slow down some so you do not force too much grass into the collection chute. As stated before, keep the screen clean. I have used the GHS deck in the rain and in standing water with great results.
    I believe proper speed is the major key to good cutting in wet conditions with the Walker.:D
  9. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto everything Mowingman said. I cut this week in terribly wet conditions with my GHS. Just had to slow down some and the lawns looked great.....didn't clog up once. If I had mowed the same lawns with my LZHP it would have been a mess of clumps.
  10. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I mowed a 3 acre property early this morning, VERY wet, only clogged one time and that was due to a stick getting jammed in the chute. I mowed a little slower than normal but not crawling, cleaned the screen each time I dumped and she cut MINT.