Walker's claims against midmounts!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnworks, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I was reading my Grounds Maintenance mag and I saw a Walker ad that stated why one should buy a Walker over a midmount. I have had a little experience w/ Walker mowers and I have never got back on one. It felt like I was riding a bull and just trying to stay on.:) Plus I would shoot myself w/ their max afterstock speed of 6.5. Here are some of Walkers claims:

"Mid-mounts have inherent design limitations to quality cutting. Heavily weighted front caster wheels track and mash the grass down before cutting and the mid-mount deck is more rigidly connected to the tractor, giving less deck suspension than the front cut"

Hmmm, I have never noticed this with my Chopper. I wonder why Walker doesn't state their blade tip speed.

"Don't be fooled by the popular idea that the mower with the fastest ground speed always finishes first."
    "While many midmount 'Zs' have a higher top speed than the Walker, the Walker often wins the job time race."

Ok, so my chopper has a top speed that is twice that of a Walker and the Walker will still win the time race. That makes sense.:confused:

"A comparison will show the mid-mounts cannot match the easy maintenance of a Walker. There is no access to the underside of the deck and many working parts require disassembly for access on these designs"

I thought mechanics love Choppers b/c of their easy access.

"The mid-mount operator sits ahead of the turn radius and is jostled side-to-side when turning, and since the deck is positioned underneath, the operator has to look to see the mowing area. Holding steering levers in postion does get tiring."

That is funny, I thought it was the trimming that made me tired. Want a rough ride? Try a Walker not midmount.

I just wanted to let you guys know some of the propaganda Walker is putting out there. I think Walker is going to go out of business. I just hate it when they say stuff that is not true. Walker's are good for bagging and getting under trees and that is it. Period. Exmarks and Choppers and possibly Hustlers are the future for lawn maintenance.

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

So let me get this straight >>>> You can cut at 13 mph on your chopper ?? And it looks good ??

3. In Mein Kampf, Hitler wrote:

that in the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper stata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily, and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods. It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation. For the grossly impudent lie always leaves traces behind it, even after it has been nailed down, a fact which is known to all expert liars in this world and to all who conspire together in the art of lying. These people know only too well how to use falsehood for the basest purposes.

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

don't hold your breath .....Walker has been around since 1977 ... is all OVER the world .... over 5,000 international ...... distributed in over 15 Countries outside of USA ....

most Walker owners ..... I know own more than 1 & many have a larger mid mount ZTR ..... each has it's own niche

ground speed is great on open terrain .....on open areas my 60" mid mount is faster .... but cut a commercial or large estate with mult beds ......narrow entry's or lawn terrain ....hilly rolling burms ....n the walker saves time

smooth terrain = smooth ride .....regardless of mower type

walker will pop a wheelie in reverse ...... but any ZTR can do that in foward

either way I own both n love both

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

[​IMG]

6. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Eric I like how you answer questions.
    :D

I have tried to pop wheelies on my Toro and have yet to be successful.

7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Heres my 2cents. We own 3 Walkers 4 Toros each have there pacific reason in our company. (1 up here in Maine you cant cut any faster then 9mph mabey in your area but not MINE!! 2nd Walkers are buy far mine and all our companys employees favorite on residential properties due to they cut down alot of trimming time over our Toro mid-mounts. 3rd Walker has tons of impliments and decks heck we can go from a 48GHS to a 52 or 62 Side discharge in 90seconds!!!! We can go from our snowblowers to aerator to bucket loader in 2 minutes!!! Hill side stability is awsome and with speedup kits put it at 7.6mph almost the fastest you can cut up here on residential and commercial irrigation fed lawns!
    4Th our outfront zmasters are very important on long open areas like the 150,000 sqft athletic fields, schools, and any wide open areas or areas not visible with clippings left behind, these are buy far our favorites mowers in these areas but we will buy and buy Walkers for there ability to give a great mower for our needs! And buy mid mounts for there pacific ability. And for a mowing company thats been in business for over 25years and still retains 80% of there original concept is a great feat! Why is it other mowing companies have tried to COPY!!! a Walker only to go through many-many changes and at times stop making the product (Toro's version, Scags version, Bunton/Textrons version, and others.) So it all depends on -YOUR- company needs on what to buy. But we own all types, front mount, mid mounts and walkbehinds so we can justify there there statement! OH YEAH OUR WALKERS ride much smoother then our mid mount Z's we own. At least our 2001's Walkers with the Cushen seat. But we could have and should have ordered at least 2 for our Z's

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I witnessed a Suburban Turbn' (2 engine Chopper) riding wheelies at at least 10 mph and for at least 75 feet at a time.

Thought that was pretty cool!

9. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Each mower has its place. Having several thousand hours in the saddle of a mid-mount and only about 50 with my Walker , I have found a great combination. Lazer 60 and Walker 48 GHS.
    The Lazer will out mow a Walker in large scale mowing.
    The Walker is very agile on smaller 5-7k lots. The out front deck does reduce alot of trimming and the deck does follow the ground better than a mid mount.
    The finish cut of the Walker is great.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

You make sure and let me know when Walker is going out of business because I will stock up.

Sure you don't agree but its their ad. Why don't you complain to the company. I know Bob Walker would personally respond to your letter as has been his practice since the company started.

A few company owners of Z's are starting to realize the personal contact over the big business fascade too. It looks like they learned from the best.

If I could afford it, I would own a select few mowers and I already have my Walker.