Walkers Getting Killed!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Hello, the preferred set-up for most LCO's in our area is a Walker GHS & a 21" Lawnboy for trim work & gates ....All Smaller Residentials...Picture Suburbs of a Very Large Urban Area...

Walker's seem to be sitting on the trailer Allot this spring while their Owners Chug around w/Lawnboys w/side bag or in Discharge Mode...The few Times I've seen the Walkers a 'goin they were Letting the Clipping Fly out the catcher & making a Huge Mess....Grass seems to be Growing Too Fast & is Too Wet for the Walkers to handle....& when they can Catch on a Drier Day they Must end up w/a Huge Wack of Clippings to Dispose of....Meanwhile we've Pumped Out or Double or Triple Mulch Cut all Clippings into the Turf ...Remember a DBL Cut on a Small Prop w/ Big Walks Takes Seconds!

....Why won't they give up the Yellow Monster?

2. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Mines been working every day.
    We only bag 1 day a week,( the really picky ones )
    But reguardless of depth or moisture, the yellow monster is serving me well...

3. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried one?

4. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

We use our "Yellow Monster" everyday rain or shine, and it cuts pretty good in the wet, 26 hp efi and the hp is def helpful in the wet and tall grass. We also have a spanish guy that works miracles with our walker.

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

My Walker is great!

I love it!

It's a different technique to mow effectively with it in super tall grass or wet grass, but nothing difficult, simply slow down.

I have the 48" deck with the 26 hp EFI Kohler motor and I'll be buying another one either this fall or next spring.

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i just got sick of bagging period, and not being able to cut on hills. now i mulch everyday!

7. outsidepride

outsidepride LawnSite Member

what do you mean not cutting on hills? no problem with that and no problem with catching the grass with my walker.

8. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

Spring and summer I use my side discharge deck on my Walker and only collect leaves with it in the fall. I find my Lawn-boy bad for clumping, I have better luck with the 21 inch Proline with the rear discharge chute with damp grass. The day I can no longer use my Walker is the day that I quit this business.

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i mean trying to cut across an incline and having the thing 360 with me all the way down to the sidewalk.

10. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

We use our 2004 walker every day since we bought it at beg of spring... wet or dry