Walkers, how slow are they?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by apples017, Nov 6, 2007.

1. apples017

apples017 LawnSite Member

Lot of people say the walkers are slow. What are they comparing them too?

Is a walker just a fast as a Rover Rancher or MTD Yardman or COX etc? Or are people comparing them to a exmark, scag etc

2. mowingpreacherman

mowingpreacherman LawnSite Member

Their brochure says 5-7 mph, depending on the model. The Walkers with the Grass Handling System are very popular in my area.
  3. NJT

NJT LawnSite Member

Walker's are built for quality of cut, not for speed.
  4. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Walker Model MB and the book says top speed of 8mph. Never been able to verify this, however its def a quick machine.
  5. bobcat52

bobcat52 LawnSite Member

the walkers work great for me... especially because my legs cramp up real fast when i get going... if it weren't for the walker, i might be having back spasms.
  6. OSCLandscaping

OSCLandscaping LawnSite Member

We currently run 5 walkers and have owned a total of 9 dating back to 1985. We really like them, great cut, great for leaf cleanups, fairly easy to work on. However if you have large open areas I would reccomend a grasshopper or dixie.:)
  7. Galashiels

Galashiels LawnSite Member

Not a fast machine but they are a finishing mower and produce a superb cut.
    Designed for smaller areas and mainly as a catcher mower. If you want to side discharge large areas then there are faster and better mowers out there.
    There new super B is fast around 11 mph but cut quality not too good and only side discharge.
    A versatile mower as very quick to change decks from pick up to side discharge.
    Built solid and reliable.
    In a small area they will leave a ZTR for dead, I have both.
  8. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello walkers are slow for volume type work , more of a decorative finish mower .
    Please compare apples to apples ,in OZ the lesser domestic mowers u r refering to are no where near a walkers performance .

If u r not aware walkers are commercial mowers . Commercial mowers have several sections
    outfront commercials , ztr midmount scag hustler toro etc , out front baggers-- walkers / navigator etc

max speed for midmount ztr generally 10.5--15 mph
    walker approx 6.5mph

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

walker also makes a speed up kit that increased travel speed by about 1.5 mph. be warned that if you use it, it changes the handling characteristics though. takes a little to get used to the steering.
  10. ACEMowing

ACEMowing LawnSite Member

Walker's advantage is the cut quality and in heavily landscaped lawns, they eliminate a TON of trimming... that ends up saving us a lot of time compared to using a faster mid-mount on those properties.
    For the big wide open chop and drop areas I'd love to have something like the 14mph Bad Boy lightning... but for our real manicured lawns (95% of our work), I wouldn't trade the Walker for anything.