1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walkers manual deck height adjustor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bart may, Apr 6, 2008.

1. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

Does anyone have one? I do change heights often and hate how slow it is to adjust all 4 pins. Do they work well?
  2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I have them on both of my decks and would not be without them. They are great for going into the trailer to dump the clippings because you can raise the deck and it will not drag if you are cutting low. The only draw-back is if you like the curbjumper or the new adjustable footrest because they will not work with the high adjuster.
  3. bladecutter582

bladecutter582 LawnSite Member

I just bought a used 20 HP /42" cut this past fall. I bought this mower because I knew I was going to get into the bus. this spring and a friend let me borrow his to cut my own grass. I was just set aside as to how it performed. I discovered my mower in a local sales paper and bought it on the spot. It was in mint condition and had 78 hrs. on it. I even got the orig. bill o sale and the Walker ball cap with it. He bought it to cut his "small" yard with, and just didn't' like. (thank God). I paid him $6800.00 for the mower. I too felt that this was a bit much to go through to change the height of the deck. So I went to my dealer and found out how much it was going to be. Well I decided to forget it, because of the price. I save $2.00 every time I change it manually. :weightlifter:
    I feel that someday Walker will make this change with the mower but not right now.
  4. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats on the good find, thats a great price. As far as the height adjuster goes, I'll have to admit the price is a little steep. You mentioned that your just starting out so I can see how that is a hard nut to swallow. As you gain more accounts and start bringing in more $$$ your opinion may change. If your having to change your cutting height alot then the money for the height adjuster would be money well spent. Even with me being a dealer and LCO I don't have the height adjusters on my crews units. The reason is we hardly ever change our cutting height. If we do we just pull the pins and change it. As far as Walker making it a standard option, I don't know. Walkers are already high priced and every option just makes them cost more. I almost forgot, I do have a height adjuster kit on my 52"SD deck. That one has thicker pins than the GHS decks and is alot heavier. The height adjuster kit is awsome on that deck.
  5. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

Grassaholic, I just bought a walker and got the 52" sd deck. I know it's heavier so your saying that I might want to get it on that deck? I change heights alot especially when we are trying to run over clumps at the end of mowing.

How do you like that deck? I want to run their double blade set up on it with out mulching. I'm hoping it will cut wet grass better than their other side discharge decks. How does it do in the wet stuff?
  6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

The Walker deck support pins require lubrication, I use Fluid Film(does not attract dirt like other lubricants do) no greasy hands or gloves when adjusting the retainer hitch pins.
    The manual deck adjuster is an option that our Walker dealership only has on a Demo Unit. The vast majority of Walker Owners do not request for the Manual deck adjuster. Come on guys it's only four pins, if the vertical support pins, or retainer pins are tight, it might be times for new retainer pins, and or washers, or simply lubrication. Invest in the Low profile wide tires instead
  7. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Your correct that it's only 4 pins on the deck. Get some Hrs. on the 52 or 62 SD deck and the metal on the posts starts to mushroom out from the hole that the pin is in. once it does that the washer wont slide over that part of the post very easily. When I'm tryin to adjust the height by myself thats when the swearing starts!! I'm lifting the deck with one hand, holding the deck frame on the ground with my knee, and tryin to get the F#$@ing washer to slide down the post.:hammerhead: My newer 52 SD deck has the height adjuster and I love it. All I have to do is push a pedal with my foot to adjust the height. On the collection decks the pins are thinner, decks are much lighter and so I think adjusting the height on those is much easier.
    As far as how do I like the 52 SD. I think it's a great side discharge deck. The opening on the deck is pretty big and it seems to disperse the clippings pretty well. The blade speed is definately higher on the 52 and 62 SD decks than on the gear driven SD decks like the 48 or 56. I have run double blades on the 52 and like that setup for the springtime when the grass is tall, thick, and wet. Once the growth slows down in the summer I would go back to singles again. When the grass isn't as tall or thick the double blade setup seems to produce so much wind that it blows the grass down and doesn't cut as well.
  8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

The other problem I see with the height adjuster set-up is you wouldn't be able to run the front of the deck higher than the rear for picking up leaves. In the fall I almost always have mine set 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher in the front so leaves will go UNDER it and not just plow them around.

Otherwise I'd love to have the manual adjuster, if someone just gave me one... But for the price they want, no thanks.
  9. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

What model Walker are you running the SD deck with? Interesting what you say about the gear driven SD decks.
  10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, you can run the higth different front to back or side to side. All you do is set the pins in the back so the deck won't go up as high. The higth adjuster is a big time saver.