Walker's new baffles for 52" deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Jul 25, 2002.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Has anyone tried these?? How much do they cost and how well to they work? I have the 52" deck without the baffles and have never tried them so I really don't have anything to compare them to. I am just getting a little tired of the mess that is caused by the SD.

Thanks
    MATT

2. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Are you talking about the mulching baffles?
    I haven't tried them, but have tried running double blades.
    They will take care of any clumping you may have.

3. walker-talker

from Midwest

Yes, I am speaking of the mulching baffles. I run doubles also and don't have a problem with clumping, but would like to get away from discharging the grass clippings. I had read a thread on here the other day speaking of a new baffle design by Walker for the 52" deck. I was just wonder if this true or not. Does anyone know???

MATT

4. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have them on my deck. They are not as deep as the original baffles, and they do not cover the discharge chute. They do eliminate the blow out that you get with the original baffles, but you still get side discharge. I have never used the deck without the baffles so can't tell you if there is any difference in the discharge. I can tell you this though, they work well on the grass in my area, and do not leave a lot of noticable clippings on yard.

Now the good part, as for cost. Walker replaced mine at no
    charge.

I have been complaining to my dealer for the last year about how the blow out using the mulch kit was keeping me covered in dirt and clippings. One day, dealer told me that Walker came out with a new baffle system. So I bought one, $30+ something. After I installed it I noticed that it was going to side discharge. I called Dennis Cox at Walker to ask how this was a mulching baffle. He told me that this was designed to eliminate the blow out, and will do the same mulching job as the original. He also told me that Walker was replacing these under warranty. Called my dealer and told him this, and was given a credit.

Jim

5. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot....

One other thing I should point out. The new baffle, just like the original does not mulch leaves worth a darn.

The old baffle had so much blow out that you had to chase them all over the yard, and the new one just side discharges them, so you have to still chase them all over the yard. :)

Jim

6. walker-talker

from Midwest

thanks for the reply.....i will have to check into them

MATT