walkers, new tires and hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeLT1Z28, Sep 4, 2002.

1. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

anyone else have a walker that just won't go across or up a hill?

i'm not talking about exceeding the 20 degree max either. i bought mine with worn tires and it would just spin or turn down hill so i put new tires on it (18x9x8 or whatever comes on them) and it still is the same. is it because i'm skinny and the motor and hydros aren't over the drive wheels like a mid mount?

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

No, my Walker goes across and up and down with no problems. I would guess that much of the problem you are having is because of weight distribution. I have a 52" deck, it is heavy and keeps the drive wheels down. There are some slopes where I have to go up in recerse but these are very steep. I also have a 42"GHS deck and it is much lighter. It does do hills but it takes practice to figure it out.

I would probably have to tell you to practice more with it and try to back up some of the slopes if you feel comfortable. As far as sideways, the tail wheel lock will keep the rear wheels straight and not let them track down. I don't have a wheel lock but would like one.

Your 42" deck is light and you will be able to do hills with practice. Do you have a speed up kit installed? Are your drive belts and tension springs in good shape?

3. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

It takes a while to get used to the diffrent balance points of these various z mowers.
    The walkers have very sensitive controls.
    Try pulling back on the forward speed lever, and try to feel the ground with the left hand controls (slippage)
    As for cross hill stuff, keep the front end a little below the back end and it should track just fine.
    I had to adjust the kill switch some on mine, as it was making the motor cut out on the steep stuff.
    I can cut steeper stuff than I used to with my old z.
    And its nice being able to back up hills.

4. heather

heather LawnSite Member

walker I have the a/t tires for my walker. those tires make hills go away! They are knoby so z turn can cause grass damage.

5. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Try fitting the ATV tyres or if you have the mechanical deck lift fitted ,try pushing the deck lift lever foward enough to take up the slack in the chains,without actually raising the deck. Doing this will transfer some weight over the drive wheels. You could also try leaning towards the side of the mower that is suffering wheel spin. All these things work for me. Bear in mind that if you do fit ATV tyres and you get wheel spin you will make one hell of a mess.

6. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 18x9x8 tires on my Walker and have always had to be careful going across or up a hill. As someone else mentioned earlier you learn how to do it best with practice.

My question.......has anyone tried the new optional low profile tire that Walker offers? I believe it is 10" wide. Is it any better than the standard tire for handling hills?

7. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have low profiles on both my 20 hps. My 16's don't have low profiles. There is some improvement on hill work. However, I have found that the weight of the deck makes a lot of difference. If you have the 42" deck, you may want to add some weight and try it. I know it will make the cross hill work easier. I have a tail lock and it gives additional help. Be careful to keep the tail of the mower up hill when you turn around if you are on fairly steep hills.

8. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I have a 26 hp with low profile tires and it will do hills better than regular tires, but as said before its all about practice. Ive found that backing up hills is best, and if you are gathering grass clippings always do the hills first so that your hopper is empty, when its full and your going across a hill it will drag the backend of the mower down, besides that, its less work for your mower as much as they cost might as well keep care of it...

9. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

My 20 HP takes hills no problem. If you go up to fast or push the speed control too fast all you'll do is spin and tear up the turf. I'm pretty skinny to and I run a 48" deck so weight shouldn't be a problem. Try taking it slower and see what happens.

10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i've tried fast, slow, bouncing up and down! lol seems to back up hills better that driving up. side to side it will go, then slow down and either just start spinning or turn down hill.

talked to my mechanic today and he really doesn't see what it could be. i think i'll let him demo it on their test hill and see how it compares to others.