Walkers on hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TerraVenture, Mar 15, 2005.

1. TerraVenture

TerraVenture LawnSite Member

I am looking to expand this spring and I am considering buying a Walker 26EFI 48 GHS with the high lift dump. I would like to know everyone's experience with the handling of the machine on hills. The few properties I do know require bagging and are very hilly. I have no problem with my 52" Wright Stander as long as the grass is not too wet. Bagging with the Wright is a pain because of the small grass gobbler I have. I am thinking of adding a Trac-Vac to it.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I have a graphic comparison that apparently will not download on this site, so email me at davidogr@aol.com, and I will send it to you. There is no comparison of Z and Walker on Hills (I live in western NC). Especially if you get a 52 inch side discharge deck.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Walker MT w/26EFI and a 42" GHS deck and a 52SD. The 42 is a decent deck but for some steep hills it is light. The front end on Walkers needs the weight so the heavier decks keep the thing glued to the hills. Now that is talking real hills. Small ones are no problem and even greater slopes arent impossible if you go up backwards to distribute the weight to the drive tires. A 48 deck is heavier than the 42 so you will probably have a little more range of slope than the 42. If you can go side to side instead of up and down you will be able to bag with the 48 no problem. You may want to consider the tail wheel lock but it isnt absolutely necessary. I have lots of pics that I can show you of hills that I do with the 42 in the spring. My main mowing deck is the 52 however. Good Luck. PM me if you need more info.

aug4 2157.jpg

4. Updog

Updog LawnSite Member

I love my Walker but it is not the best on the hills. Some people seem to have their blinders on. Walkers do bag better than any other machine I have been on but when you get on a good incline and your bagger is more than halfway ful the tail end tends to follow gravity. You can make it a little more stable on the hills by puting liquid in the tires. I just wouldn't want you to buy a Walker and be cussing everyone on here and your new mower every machine out there has pros & cons. Good Luck.

5. David Grass

That is true, if bagging, but if bagging with a Z, the comparison is still better I would think, in other words, comparing apples to apples

6. David Grass

I just dont bag, I quit as soon as I got my 52 on it. My 48 has sat out back for 9 years, but, good point, when full of grass with a 48, it wont compare to an "empty" Z

7. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing that is true about a walkers hill handling ability. It will go down a hill better then any mower I have ever used. Side to side it not to bad if you use the all terrain tires. Up and down not to bad either will all terrain tires. A Z is still better going up slopes and across. But anyone will tell you that when you point the z down a hill and want to stop or turn you better make sure the path is clear because its like a E ticket ride- you never know whats going to happen.

8. moremowing4me

moremowing4me LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

be aware when backing up a hill that you do not go to fast or the hopper will fly up on you and cause a terrible bouncing affect. I hope that I am not the only one who has had this happen. ;)

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

you mean "yellow" the bucking bronc.....

10. justcutz

justcutz LawnSite Member

LOL. That is the perfect description!!!!!