Walkers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Willofalltrades, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking at a 2001 Walker MT. It has the 25 hp Kohler. The Dealer i am buying it from (Emmett equipment) is the main distributor in Ohio. They take used Walkers that they get on trade and throughly go over them. The one I'm looking at has a brand new motor installed by the dealer and everything was inspected.
    Do you think this would be a reasonable investment. They are asking $6250 for it but I'm going to try and talk them down. The person I spoke to about it was the owner Mr. Emmett. Also, please give your comments about this model. thanks

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It really depends on how many hours are on the rest of the mower and the condition. A new engine by no means assures you that the deck spindles and gear box are going to last a long time or that the hydro system has many hours left on it.

3. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I used to have walkers and delt with emmett for years emmett is a very cool guy he gave me a nice walker jacket for x-mas. but for me the walkers and catching the grass takes to much time and to much money. when the walker is full you have to dump it in debri bags (that emmett sells) and it takes atleast 2 guys to lift it in the truck then at the end of the day you have to empty the truck by hand or invest in a dump bed or a dump truck and if you have nowhere to dump you have to pay to dump plus drive time to the dump site. emmett also sells wright standers and sentars i would look into the discharge mowers over the walker i bought a 52 sentar demo unit off emmett for $5,200 i had a account i cut with a walker and 1 employee we started at 8:30am and was finished at 1:00pm when i bought the sentar we finished at 10:45 i saved 2hours and 15min. walker is a awesome machine but time is money. have you looked at lesco mowers? you can get a brand new leso Ztwo 48" at lesco in brunswick for $5,799 or a 54" for $5,999

4. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

I am also a walker owner and if I were you I would spend the extra
    2500 or so and buy new. Spread the payments over 3 years. Walker mowers
    are excellent machines but when they get up on hours you will spend money to keep them going. When something goes it is usually expensive. Buy new get the warranty, no worries.

5. zero_turn_mowers

zero_turn_mowers LawnSite Senior Member

Was the motor replaced due to factory defect or excessive wear, 75% of the used Walkers I have seen with new motors have 1500-2000 hours on them, my guessing without seeing it I would say it sounds high, I have a 2003 26EFI 48 Bagging deck with 175 hours on it I will sell for $7200.00

Tim

6. Willofalltrades

The Mower has 3000 hours on it. Emmett replaced the motor, GHS blower, and seat. The machine was part of a 13 walker fleet. Everything appears to be solid but you never know with 3000hrs. He also did an amature paint job and went over the 48"GHS deck. The dealer is also including a warranty, 90 days starting on April 1.

7. Willofalltrades

Oh i almost for got, i do have a John Deere HD45 hydro walkbehind. It has a 48" deck. I am also calling on a 52" side discharge deck for the Walker.

8. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

ask emmett who owned the mower there are only a few lco's around here that run a fleet of walkers that size chances are i will know the lco who traded it in it would either be monteleone,thoryk,or rossi. the 52" dicharge deck is a pain to change in the field by yourself.

9. Willofalltrades

monteleone for sure

10. newhort

newhort LawnSite Member

I have two walkers. That is high on a used machine with that many hours. Plus the Kohler 25 hp. is a bad motor. I noticed walker has stopped puttung it on new models. For little more money you can have a new 20 hp.