1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walkie talkies

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by RandyS, Mar 20, 2007.

1. RandyS

RandyS LawnSite Member

Do any on you use them and what kind? My partner brought up the idea this morning that it might be a good idea to have them, especially while plowing. I used to have a set of Motorolas years ago but they were very expesive. Just wondering if the ones I see in every store now would work.
    Thank you.
  2. ccash

ccash Banned

i used to have nextel. before that on the golf course we used walkie talkies.
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

If you have a costco membership they have the motarola handhelds in sets of 2 for around 60 bucks. they have a 2-10 mile range pending your terrain. 10 if flat 2 if really mountainous.
  4. F&SLawnCo

F&SLawnCo LawnSite Member

Just another peice of equipment to keep up with. I guess if you had multiple large estates or huge commercial properties they would be a plus. Our crew members know there resposibilities and they keep an eye out for one another so we have never really seen the need.
  5. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

i have some. not sure what kind. bought them at radio shack for around $50. we use them for snow removal alot and for large sprinkler winterizations in the fall. very handy when we need them. they have a range of a couple of miles.
  6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I see that as just another thing to fall under my mower and get pulverized... I guess they would be of some help as long as you kept them in the truck along with everything else you might have in your pockets...
  7. Primolawn

Primolawn LawnSite Member

We use Motorola PR400's and they work good. They only cost about 15/mo per radio.
  8. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I can't hear my cell phone when I'm snow blowing or when mowing, can't feel the vibrating either.
  9. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

We use the Canadian version of nextel, Telus Mike service. Coulden't be without it.

10. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought 2 motoralla 12 mile range for $59 last year. You can pick them up pretty cheap anymore.