walkin behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hunter Landscape, Mar 1, 2001.

1. Hunter Landscape

Hunter Landscape LawnSite Member

i am thinking about opting for a 48" walk behind with sulky to replace my JD 525 front deck mower. I have been offered a price (before negotiations) of $2200 for a 48" Bobcat belt drive var. speed walk behind. I have heard some good stuff about Bobcats but have not heard anything that I know of regarding this model. It is mostly flat here so i think that a belt drive should suffice even with a sulky.
    What sulky (type / brand ) do y'all recommend??
    This mower has a 15 HP Kohler eng and I am sure that this will catch some grief, but hey, that is why I am asking :).
  2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Don't waste your money on a belt drive mower to pull a sulkey with. A belt will do the job but remember this, extra pull on the belts causes them to stretch. Any wet conditions and the belts stretch faster and they start to slip. Most belts run at least $70 a set. The money you can save on belts can buy you a new hydro this year. Lesco has a 48" hydro for $3,499 right now. 17hp kawi,electric start.
  3. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

What a load of horse crap! I have two Lesco 48 inch belt drives, and one bobcat 48 inch belt drive. I replaced the belts on the bobcat when I bought it used. The Lesco mowers are on the third season with the stock belts. Contrary to what earthscapes says, you do not replace belts every week! I have a brand new set waiting for backup in case one breaks, though. And for the record, all three mowers pull a set of Jungle Wheels with NO ill effects. Let me know how much it costs you when you replace a hydro pump. Several hundred, I can tell you.
    I see it like this: when a belt drive breaks, 90 percent of the time, it can be fixed in the field. If a hydro breaks down, it is out of commission while in the shop. Belt drives definately have their place and there is a lot to be said for the simplicity of the machines!
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

A little belt dressing goes a long ways.
  5. SWguy

SWguy LawnSite Member

Simplicity is the key. I have a Toro 44" and a snapper 48" If and when that belt stretches all I have to do (once in a blue yard) is take 45 seconds to pull the pin and adjust the belt back out. I have only been mowing for 6 years, and I have never had any problem with any big deck I have ever owned.
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I can just about ditto lake G's comments above for the lesco 48 belt.

apparently, based on comments here about other mowers and my own experience with the lesco, the lesco belt system is the best there is out there.

7. SWguy

SWguy LawnSite Member

I have never used a Lesco, but I just love my Toro. It might not be the best out there, but it gets the job done. Tell me about the Lesco
  8. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using an Exmark hydro since 93 and have never had to replace a hydro motor. The blade belt goes once a season and thats about it. IMHO the "human energy" savings with a hydro is worth the extra money!
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess what I like the best on my Exmark hydro's is the instant forward to reverse. I had a belt drive that I traded in on my 2nd hydro. I didn't like shifting between forward and reverse all the time. It also seemed that the grips were much harder on my hands than the hydro. Other than that it did fine. I feel it is definately worth the extra for the hydro.
  10. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yeh, I heard this hydro vs. belt argument before...
    There must be something to those hydros.
    After demo-ing both, I decided on belts(eXmark 48"MetroHP).
    (no sulky...yet...but I like two wheels better)
    (jungle wheels sound good)

Reverse assist instead of actual reverse. But the quality of cut seems to be IDENTICAL! The price was the biggest difference for me.
    I saved $$$ on the belt drive. And thats the bottom line!
    It has been quite an upgrade from my 21" crapsman.
    I figure, when I spend the $ for hydro, It will be a sitter!

To me, it was more of a diff in quality of cut between fixed decks and floaters.

Lesco mowers are popular around here, and seem to do alot of people just fine. I looked at them, but my eXmark dealer was 45 min closer and seemed to have a better service dept/record...more helpful too.