Walking and Riding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Jun 19, 2000.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I am curious as to how long you walk behind your mowers per week as well as how long you ride. <br>I got my new ztr 2 weeks ago and found that I am using it more than the walkbehind.Thats the reason I got a new one but I can really see my productivity increase. For some reason this Walker is faster than the old one. We have had plenty of rain so there is still heavy growth.<p>Of my 24 weeklys I am out a total of about 18 hours. <br>I ride for 16 of my 24 accounts which adds up to about 10 hours.<br>Walk behind Toro for 4 hours and thr rest is trimming and blowing. Of course these are averages. Just wondering what your experience is.

2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't figured out the time spent walking....but one time I tried to figure how many miles I was walking on an 8,000 ft.2 property that i was cutting. Those figures can become mindboggling. Good luck with the rider.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing I walk behind is my Shindaiwa. I have a sulky for my Gravely 50&quot; and a single wheel Velke for my new Exmark 36&quot; Metro. For 5 years previous to the Exmark I used a Woods CM36 hydro that I walked behind. The productivity increase with the Exmark/Velke combo is unbelievable! Wether you get a single wheeled or dual wheeled sulky/Velke/Rocketwheels/Proslide you will see a marked reduction in fatigue and an increase in productivity. Like they say, &quot;Why walk when you can ride&quot;.

4. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

With my Steiner & new ZTR, I take mostly bigger accts., but still have some smaller ones I can't fit the Z on, so I use my 48&quot; Honda WB. I took the sulky off cuz I need exercize- too much sitting in the truck, then sit on the Z, then a little walking with the weedwacker, etc.<br>I use the Z on about 75-80% of my accts. I walk the rest with the WB.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Rider on about 90% of accounts.<br>Walk behinds only used on real hilly areas and when the 60&quot; will not fit.

6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Six hours a day walking.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I used my old 48&quot; bobcat wb for the first time in three years, last Friday.I realy forgot how hard it was to opperate.I'm part time,13 mowing accts,26 hours per week,run a Walker 48&quot; GHS unit and do very little trimming. I don't know how I made it so many years walking.

8. Scape Sculptor

Scape Sculptor LawnSite Member

8 to 10 hours per day walking. I only have a walkbehind, dream of the day I can afford a ztr...

9. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

walk 50% of the time use velkie other 50%

10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

i just bought a set of jungle wheels off somoene on this forum. though i like them alot... they take a toll on you body.... there not the smoothest riding! there much better than walking but i definitly like using my z master better.... that god i dont hace to many gated lawns where i have to use my 36 walker behijnd!