walking backwards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brantfordbandit, May 28, 2011.

1. brantfordbandit

brantfordbandit LawnSite Member

when using your handmower do you walk forwards then pull the mower backwards on the return cut?

2. chuacro

chuacro LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you do this?

3. JRT01

JRT01 LawnSite Member

no. make a 180degree turnn and follow your last pass.. walking backward will leave a poor cut and not so strait stripes.

4. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

It's all about the stripes, man. Haven't you heard?

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

The way decks are designed, it's not made to cut properly pulling it backwards. Just turn around and cut it right.

6. SLMGT

SLMGT LawnSite Member

I've never considered it. Probably not too safe pulling a mower towards your feet.

7. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

We maintain alot of small yards in home owner associations. My en-suite bathroom is larger than some of them. Much of the time you have no room to turn around.
    We attempt to do a clockwise perimeter cut and then do straight lines.

If you pull the mower backwards, keep in mind that the cut will be a half inch shorter than a row where you only cut forwards. You may want to go forward and backward on
    each and every row to keep the height consistent.

Also, when you pull backwards you may have a mess of clippings to go over again.

The owners manuals do not recommend going backwards as this practice can be dangerous.

If you are on a small flat surface and have checked your surroundings before you move, then I believe it can be safe to pull a hand mower backwards to cut an area.

I also put a piece of tape around the middle of the handlebar so that when the guys have to pull backwards with one hand and look over their shoulder,
    they pull the mower from the middle of the handlebar and the cut is kept straight.

8. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

i use every the mower the same, forward on the pass, make a 180 degree turn and forward on the next pass.....

pulling the mower backwards to cut the next row is a lazy homeowner thing and isn't very professional for those in the industry.

i've never seen a 21 incher leave stripes so i don't see how it would mess up any stripes and if you pull it back straight your lines will still be straight.

but still i think it's unprofessional and always reminds me of a lazy homeowner who doesn't really want to be out mowing his grass.

9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

If I'm doing fenced areas in HOA plans, I could care less. Tiny HOA front yards are a little more important. But I hate using machines without hydros, so I usually get frustrated when I have to hand mow and just try to get done ASAP.

10. brantfordbandit

brantfordbandit LawnSite Member

thanks everyone, maybe now my neighbor will believe me, i was wondering how you get a z turn up over a curb if you had to cut a medien or curbed island say at a commercial site.