1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walking on grass when ground is frozen..bad?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bobcat175, Dec 28, 2004.

1. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

Does traffic(people) on the grass while the ground is frozen damage the dormant grass? What actually happens if it's bad??
  2. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

Also, I'm referring to when there is no snow cover.
  3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

When their is a hard frost it turns the plant into glass. So when you walk on it you are breaking it so it will turn brown but it usually returns to normal in a few weeks. That the easiest way to explain it if you want I can explain it the way our turfgrass professor explained it. But his way is full of bs and last about an hour. What a waste of an hour!
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

On our baseball fileds we would water a few hours before sun up so the water would freeze on the grass. Sounds crazy but the ice actaully trapped the heat in the blade and the grass fared better than when we didn't do this. If you walked on it the plant cells just explode and it will look bad for a while.
  5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to live among some large vineyards in California, and they too would spray the vines with water before a freeze. Ice and snow will act as an insulator and help protect the plant from the outside air which may be somewhat well below freezing, but needless to say, plants get pretty brittle at these temperatures.

Ever see someone dip a banana into liquid oxygen, and then drop it onto the floor? It shatters like glass. But I think an interesting experiment would be to first put a coating of ice over the banana before dipping it into the liquid oxygen and then dropping it. Would the inside of the banana stay intact?