Wall base depth

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by b landscaping, Mar 30, 2014.

1. b landscaping

b landscaping LawnSite Member

Building a small wall for a customer. Area always is damp and customer said they are having settling problems for home foundation. I am thinking a 8" base would suffice and should be more than enough. Any other ideas would be great
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Is the house new/newer? Might need to dig down and compact in lifts as you build back up along the foundation

3. jmkr02

jmkr02 LawnSite Senior Member

Field stone, roll them in place. Otherwise dig down to virgin ground and buildup from there.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. b landscaping

House been there for twenty years. Just having problems with soil. I'll dig till I hit that good red clay then I will start up from there. I like the big stone idea too.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Not so fast.

Before anything is done, you need to correct the water problem.

Could be an underground stream. An if so you need to divert the water

Could be a broken water line.

Could be a roof water issue.

Do not build a wall without first identifying and correcting the water issue.

DO NOT.

Next - base thickness needs to be speced by your engineer. Usually 6-inch depth is fine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. b landscaping

We are running corrugated pipe from the gutter downspouts. Also regrade where was previously but not enough. We are adding additional base for more support for the wall. It is a three course wall and adding more drainage pipe and rocks then we usually do to the bottom
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. b landscaping

Grade area sloping to wall which was graded before but not enough***
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. jmkr02

jmkr02 LawnSite Senior Member

20 years what does the foundation wall look like? People have been doing a lot of water proofing 3 ft of wall and adding a membrane graded to a french drain by us. It directs the water away from the house and gives it somewhere to go.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster LawnSite Member

Don't argue with DVS. He knows what he's talking about. If a house... A while house is shifting and settling. Your dinky wall will be way more seceptable. Fix the water issue. Trench in the down spouts. Fix the pitch of the yard for runnoff.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. b landscaping

Yes they had to have their addition jacked up from where added it onto back of house. Contractor shirt cuts I believe. Water is not a walls best friend:(((
    Posted via Mobile Device