1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

wall base

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by bobcatnj, Apr 12, 2007.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

what are you guys using for retaining wall base? was talking to a guy the other day and he was using stone dust. i usually use 3/4 stone. can dust be used?
  2. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Road base / Cr6 here in MD.
  3. bobcatnj

road base cr6= 3/4 clean????
  4. senatorcongressman

senatorcongressman LawnSite Member
    from WDC

cr6 = 1" minus. lotsa fines so it compacts well
  5. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

stay away from stone dust it will migrate over time and is not the best product for the customer. Dust will work great on the short term but down the road the wall could fail.
  6. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, 1" down to dust, or 3/4" down to dust (road base) should be used for wall base. No stone dust, no clean stone.

The problem we have right *now* is it's all really wet from sitting in the piles at the quarry all winter. If the first 15 tons we got for our first hardscape job of the year (still in process) had been any wetter, we could have pulled it out like concrete!
  7. bobcatnj

so you use 3/4 qp
  8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope, no qp around here. It's either 53's or 73's.

The different terms is why you need to use a description (3/4- or 3/4 clean, etc) instead of the name on this board...
  9. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

i use 57's.
  10. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Dan - I have to disagree with your comment about not using clean stone for wall base. It is actually an accepted practice by NCMA and is becoming more popular these days. As you know, clean stone should be used in all water applications as well.