Wall bid

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by paul, Mar 7, 2002.

1. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Heres one I got today, 5500 face ft of wall, 348 ft long. main wall 165' X 19' high, will have at times 10' of water ( detention basin)
    Grid every two feet @85% of wall height
    Figure 4' of gravel behind it

What do you think it will go for?
    What would you bid on it?

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

What're the specs for whats going in front of the wall (like rip-rap)?

3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

It's seeded

4. Stonehenge

from Midwest

Pre-excavated?

5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I'm figuring that I'll have to excavate it.

It will have to be at least a 3 to 1 slope to prevent collapse and to allow the men to work, all back fill compacted in 9" lifts no wheel machines with in 3' of the face of the wall.

6. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

How bout' $96,555.99?

7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Just some # that might help

Excavating for grid $13,000
    Stone for behind wall $6,600
    My prelimary # for the P.E. to design wall and to inspect it during construction $3,000

Grid cost $ 3500

8. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

I may not be too well equipped to handle this, but given your numbers and my experience with smaller walls, i gotta think that you're right in the area of $160K maybe a little more dependent on access. Not beatin' up Steveair, but at $96K that's less than $20 a foot for an engineered wall. I like story problems, just don't know if I always get the answers right:D Let me know how I've done, Professor Paul. By the way, I'll bet this is a prevailing wage job, isn't it? If so my figures are probably way low.

9. Stonehenge

from Midwest

Because I'm not familiar with that kind of scope, number will surely be off for backfilling and compaction of 2,000+ cubic yards of fill, but I'll come in around $150,000.

10. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL,

I was just taking a educated guess.

I basically figured that all materials would run for around 50K, materials being:

block/cap - 35000
    grid - I actually got that one right.....6500k
    stone - around 6k
    misc - adhesive, fabric (drainage), drain pipe, etc...2500

I have no clue when it comes to big excavation like that. I figure about a week for a excavator to dig out, prep the base, and 2 men laying the base.

Then I figured a crew of 8 (2 machine operators-one on loader, one on tele-handler, 3 guys laying block, 2 guys backfilling, 1 guy running compactor) for about 14 days.

figured rental equipment for 2 weeks.....1 2-3 yard loader, 1 telehandler, and also figured a excavator for about 2 days.......oops......guess that excavator will need to be there a tee bit longer!

I also figured all the engineering would be accounted for.....if you were to have a wall put out for bid, wouldn't you want to first know if the wall could be built? Guess not.

No that I understand the project better though, I think I would be in that 150 range with my 'guess' . Like hell I would bid something like that though.

I'm sticking to residential work!

steve