1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wall drains

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by neversatisfiedj, Sep 6, 2005.

1. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guys have a drainage outlet every 50 feet for retaining walls? How do you outlet it? Bring the 4" perf pipe out, or do you core drill the blocks? just wondering. I usually space my block and even my perf pipe with block, but its not that appealing looking.
  2. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a solution for this does not look bad? Where can you buy something that looks a bit "nicer"? I have to put in a 175' x 4' wall and need to put some outlets in. I will be using Rockwood, btw.

3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have got away with placing a 4" pref behind first course. Of course all walls are diff. and not there to see yours and what is behind it makes it tough to comment. I do every thing possible like maybe cut a swail behind the wall to take off the load. Every wall i build has 1-2'of stone for footer and running the pipe i feel is fine just make sure you can drain it some where. Also remember water follows the gravel real well . That wall i would backfill 2-3 ' of gravel and place pref. pipe and you should be fine. I use allen block they are holow core adding stone inside each block i like this better than a solid block. These block are also made to drain if neccessary. My opinion!
  4. Pavers Plus

Pavers Plus LawnSite Member

if you want/need to daylight the pipe through the wall, core drilling through the block with a 4 or 5" core bit looks pretty sharp.....then find a grate that fits over the hole. looks better than the square cuts many use with a round pipe. You'll want to predrill the holes if possible with a drill press, otherwise, you can rent a portable core drill and drill into the wall.
  5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, how bout if we back up here.

Yes, retaining walls need what are referred to as "Drainage Chimneys"

Which in turn will have pipe to route the water away.

However, a properly designed and engineered retaining wall should not necessarily have water making it to that drain,

See, a drainage chimney is NECESSARY, however they are for last resort. The water should be routed away before it even gets close to the wall system.

I have had clients say "no water is comin out of those pipes". And reality is - if all is properly designed - there should be NO water comin through those pipes!

For the record, let me say, yes there are applications where routing water away from the wall system is not a possibility.

We usually just install the drain pipe / tubing and daylight on both ends.
  6. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agreee, i call the pipe my 39.00 ins. policy and in few cases will not see water come out. Seen it in a rare case 4" rain i 45 minutes 2 years ago my customer called me and told me good job. ( that dont happen to much customer calling back for compliment ) If you have enough gravel bhind ther for water to filter it will not pile up enough to soak in to a 4" pipe. The 4' wall this guy is talking about i would not think of a good reason to run pipe thru the face of the wall. We are building 1 now 135'x 6' with 400' of mountain above it, we went 6' above wall and cut a swail . I feel there the only water that will even get to the wall is the 6' area between the swail and the wall. We are appling 3-4' of 57s behind the wall and the other 2' with shale and gridding 100% every 3 courses using allen block.