wall of arborvitae

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JML, Sep 7, 2001.

1. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, we were asked by a customer to put in a privacy wall of trees along the back of there property. We have determined we are going to put 80 4-5' Emerald Green Arborvitae along the 200' stretch. The customers said they wanted if possible for them to be planted on a berm. I have never planted anything on a berm before, what size berm would your recommend, how high and how wide, they were thinking about 2' to 3' high and wide, is it good for the arbs. to be planted in a berm. I need some help and suggestions. Thanks

joe

2. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

2-4 feet is common. Watch your drainage paths, you don't want to turn their yard into a swamp.

Jim L

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

A new customer of mine had about 10 green emeralds planted on a 2.5ft berm! I think it looks horrible! They only did it to save money over buying taller arbs!

4. Little Guy

Little Guy LawnSite Member

Only plant in the berm if thay are planning to plant in front of it!
    Otherwise, it looks out of place in most applications!

Just my opinion!!

5. Little Guy

Little Guy LawnSite Member

Flowers or small shrubs thing like that for the above!!!

6. smithsonmi

smithsonmi LawnSite Member

We see this all the time with Arbs or evergreens....and they are usually dead. The berms seem to dry out much quicker than the ground and most people will not take the time to water sufficiently...especially 80 arbs!

The drainage point is a good one...if that is a drainage path, you will get a swamp/pond. If so and they still want the berm, you will need some method of transferring water (basins and pipes etc..etc..)

This project sounds ugly, but if the customer wants it let them pay for it. Just beware of any plant warranty on that berm.

7. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

I personally will do everything I can to talk a cust. out of planting on a berm(OR ABOVE GROUND).In my opionion it just makes the trees life harder.What Smithsonni said the ground does seem to dry faster and stresses the plant.;)

8. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

I have also tried to talk them out of the berm also, but get this one, they customer wants the berm so no one crashes into her house. The best part is she is on a dead end street, not a busy road and she insists on having a 3 foot berm built.. Is there any other way I can talk them out of it.. Thanks