1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Wall Project

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Mar 7, 2012.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

We just broke ground for a retaining wall. I'll try to post pics along the way. The pictures do not do the slope justice in showing how severe the slope really is.

And P.S - we didn't have anything to do with those skinny a$$ sonotubes supporting the covered deck posts. I can't believe those passed inspection!

Davsion Wall 1.jpg

Davison Wall 2.jpg

Davison Wall 3.jpg

Davidson Wall 4.jpg

Davisdon Wall 5.jpg

Davidson Wall 7.jpg

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

The tubes were the first thing that caught my attention. Assuming a 10x40 deck, 10" tubes, Clay composed soils similar to here. They would have to have a 20" pad under each tube to support the absolute minimum code loads. Even then it looks to be only a few years old and the post on concrete. That doesn't fly anymore here either. I personally would not do that to my house. I like your take though.

3. DVS Hardscaper

The wall will be 12' in height when it's done. So the deck ain't gonna go anywhere. But until then........I'm crossing my fingers that we don't get any rainfall of biblical proportions! My other concern is the vibration from the trench roller.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. shovelracer

Your cut seems to maintain 1:1 from ground level at post to edge of cut. How deep are the tubes?

5. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I'm jealous you have no frost in the ground.

Will you be replacing those steps as well?

6. shovelracer

If the deck is properly tied to the house it has little chance of pulling off. My concern with the posts would be that without a pad under them the chance of the deck sinking is pretty good if they get a 100 year snow and it is not removed right away.

7. DVS Hardscaper

I have no idea how deep the posts are, and I'm not gonna ask! LOL

We're just gonna hurry up and get that wall built!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Green Acres Indy

Green Acres Indy LawnSite Member

Oh yes, this reminds me of one I did about 10 years ago or so. Terrible site access. All the material had to be wheelbarrowed and full size Keystone (the heavy ones) had to be packed about 60-70' across and down the steep grade. We redid the posts. The old ones were pretty shallow. You can see how deep we went with the new ones (one of my guys in the hole). Lots of grid on this one, THIS HILLSIDE WAS STEEP!!!

P4140122.JPG

P4140123.JPG

posts.JPG

deep hole.JPG

resl9.jpg

resl16.jpg

9. DVS Hardscaper

We had a couple days this winter where the top one-inch of the ground froze.

During what's considered a "hard winter" in this area I have only seen the ground freeze about a foot deep.

and yup, we're building new steps.

10. DVS Hardscaper

That looks like quite a challange! Luckily we are able to get our equipment in :)