1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

wall redo

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by copeblk, Aug 23, 2007.

1. copeblk

copeblk LawnSite Member

feedback welcome

2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Good thing you did something when you did, I don't know how much longer that wa;ll would have lasted! Good work.
  3. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

How much did that stone run you? How many guys does it take to stack those stones? I like it, we really don't have access to large stacking stone like that around here.
  4. copeblk

copeblk LawnSite Member

these are limestone boulders,it's what we use for a base with our walks, just uncrushed. these run 17.50/ton, even the biggest one here was probably 1,500 to 1,700 lbs. the only prob is we have to take the skid into the quarry load yourself then build. so every stone was handled like 10 times(not that many but it felt like it)in all took 1 day for dig out, 3.5 to bring in stone and 2.5 to build. one person on skid placing and one with a bar, leveling and final placement.
  5. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

anything behind the stone to keep the soil from leaching out ? and what was the total tons of stone used ? btw it looks great ya just gotta add some plants in there !!!
  6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Just how we do it up here in Ontario, bring your own equipment into the quarry, load yourself, leave equipment there. Unload at jobsite, move again and again and again. Cheap to buy but so expensive and hard on equipment. I won't do it again. Oh nice job btw.
  7. copeblk

copeblk LawnSite Member

it is so hard on equipment, if uor tires wern't foam filled you'd get a flat every time, people do some one is always fixing one in there. we had to make a new tailgate for our dump b/c when you dump it beats the snot out of it so we have a good one and a really banged up one that we switch out.wall has fabric up the back and filled with round stone about 3/4 the way up. we used roughly 65 ton for this job. 9 loads out 8 loads in (had to seperate the tiombers for the burn pile)we really wanted to do the planting but wasen't in the budget, just mulched, i'll get some finished pics on monday
  8. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

if ya dont mind me askin what was you're labor charge on this job ?
  9. copeblk

copeblk LawnSite Member

labor was $1,950, boulders cost roughly $1000
  10. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I do alot of boulder work both for my side jobs and with my company. my tip of the day: when loading bouldrs, buy a yard or 2 of cheap mulch first and leave it in your dump body to avoid trashing the floor of the body. makes a nice little cushion for the boulders to land on.
    BTW, the job looks very nice