Wall Splitter

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kris, Jan 9, 2005.

1. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I am interested in any ones opinion with real life experience using the The wall splitter from - Probst/Pave Tech.

More specifically...will it split pisaII blocks ... how good of a job does it do?

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Kris it dosen't work unless you have a thinner blade installed on the bottom. We had one made to split Pisa wall units (24" wide units). It's faster to split them by hand.

3. kris

from nowhere

Darn Paul. ... I so wanted to hear that they work. So your saying it wouldn't work on individual blocks?

I realize that you would have to chisel off the lip so that you would have equal pressure across the block.

I'm thinking of it replacing allot of time & money spent on saws and blades.

Challenge is I can't find one up here to try.... I have it all set up to have one shipped but I'm having second thoughts.

I may try to work a deal that we would pay for shipping both ways if it didn't work .... would be worth the hundred or two just to find out.

4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't comment on the Pisa blocks, but we have that splitter and love it. being able to split blocks for pillars and sitting walls, caps, etc. It's a huge time saver and if set up properly, does a great job. It really gives your projects that extra special touch.

Chris

5. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Paul is right, it is faster to do it by hand.

Practice, practice, practice. LOL

Peace,

Rex

LegendaryPavers.Com

6. kris

from nowhere

Do what by hand? Cut a single block? We normally use a saw to cut half blocks etc...

7. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a Mikita concrete saw

8. kris

from nowhere

we use partner950's ...what Im asking is, would this splitter be able to handle allot of the work that the partner is now doing?

9. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Kris,
    We have two of these splitters and are overall very happy with them. I've never used it on the Pisa II but it works well on other products. Sometimes you may get an irregular break but not often enough that we worry about it. They are great for creating corners and we sometimes use it on natural stone as well. It all depends on the type of stone...some split better than others. Last year we spent something like $2000 on a hydraulic splitter. It worked well for a couple jobs but the steel frame wasn't strong enough to hold the pressure of the hydraulic piston. The worst of it is that the company would not warranty it after only a few months use :realmad:

10. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are looking for a perfect, clean cut then a splitter is not for you. Splitters create a jagged, "rock face" on the block and more often than not they do not split perfectly. Like I said they have their uses, but to replace a saw for cut quality.....NO!

chris