Walled lawntrailer or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skclawncare, Nov 8, 2009.

1. skclawncare

skclawncare LawnSite Member

Hello, I am in the process of starting a small 2 man operation and was wondering which would be better? A walled 77in x 12ft rear ramp trailer or for $500 cheaper get the same exact trailer without walls? I am thinking walls will make it much easier for leaf and debris job and will make up for the difference. Any suggetions? Thx. :usflag:

2. Premier landscaping south

Premier landscaping south LawnSite Senior Member

I am a solo operator and have a 12'x6' tandem axle trailer that has 2' walls. It can haul up to 8,000Lbs. It has come in handy on clean ups and hauling up to 7 scoops of mulch as well.

I would spend to extra coin and buy a trailer that has walls.

PLS

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

You can always add taller sides on it with some wood boards. You should be able to get some 4x8 sheets of plywood and use those. It would be a much cheaper way to make sides and they would be removable.

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

That's what I did on my 6x12 trailer. It will hold 7 yards of mulch. I only put it on the trailer for jobs where I need to haul quantity.

5. ADVANCEDOHIO

ADVANCEDOHIO LawnSite Member

Go enclosed!!!

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

What good is a enclosed trailer when your needing to haul away debris and leaves? Read the posts, they can be educational to answering the question.

7. skclawncare

skclawncare LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I think I'll spend the extra $ and get an enclosed trailer.

8. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

i personally think enclosed is almost worthless simply because you can't dump mulch into the trailer or just throw in leaves and/or other debris...but being located in kansas city would make me think twice, i'm in lawrence and i hear a lot of **** gets stolen on open trailers there...

if you had an open trailer putting side boards on is simple and cheap, just paint them so they don't look trashy ha...