WallTubing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SCL, Jun 27, 2001.

1. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Just wanted to know if anyone is using 4" tubing with the cover or sock behind their wall instead of just plain tubing. If so does this change any install design such as moving or eliminating the filter fabric or the amount of chips behind the wall.
    Thanks

2. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Beware of sock covering on drain tile if you have any clay in the backfill behind the wall. Fine sediment will clog the sock and cause real problems.

One thing I would recomend is " crushproof drain tile ". This is basically 4" corrugated drain tile with a crushproof liner. We put it in all the bunkers when I was at the golf course and it works great. It comes in 20' sections.

Jim L

3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I attended a Versa-Lok seminar a couple years ago, and it sounded like where they used to be big proponents of a filter fabric between soil and stone, and corr. pipe with a sock, they were having a change of heart.

The reason was, they were finding that the filter fabric was preventing silt from getting into the stone, as it was supposed to. Problem is, the silt was then stacking up at the filter fabric, not allowing water through, which brings you back to square one as far as water drainage goes. so they instead recommended no filter fabric, no sock. If silt gets in, it'll get washed into and through the drain. No harm, no foul.

4. capital

capital LawnSite Member

We still use gravel behind our walls but run all our drain tiles with the sock on. We have not been advised, or seen any problems with clay clogging up the covers. We were told buy one block manuf that we no longer were required to run the drain tile. We still do.....

5. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

I think tubing is still a good idea as it provides a good frost buffer zone and its relatively cheap to put in. I gotta agree with Stone on the blockage issue but it seems that the companies I do the most business with (UNilock and Rockwood) are still showing fabric as a barrier. This just gets better.