Walmart synthetic motor oil? Any good?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by HenryB, May 29, 2006.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Walmart has synthetic 10w30 for $12/ 5 quart container. Looks like a great deal any opinions?

2. bladeheart

bladeheart LawnSite Member

Did you notice the walmart oil looks like it has the same container at mobil one oil. Coincidence?

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I trust Mobil 1. I don't trust synthetic Chinese Walmart oil lol that is 8$ cheaper.

4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't noticed this oil in our Wal Mart but is it really from China ?

I have always used Castrol 30 wt. and sometimes 40 wt. when it gets around 100 degrees. Our Wal Mart does not stock the 5 quart container of 30 wt. nor any 40 wt. Castrol at all.

Just got a new Mower (Tank) and I am considering switching to Synthetic after break-in. That is why I was asking about the about post (Made In China ).

Nosmo

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea about the China part lol. But 8$ cheaper makes me wonder

6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing is wrong with the Wal-mart oil...ever hear of an engine failure due to using wal mart oil??? Companies like Mobil know they can't sell all the oil they produce under their name alone and can only store so much...once an oil vein is tapped it will keep pumping non stop...so they sell the excess off...the shape of the bottle is not coincedence...it is to make paople think more mobil than wal mart...

7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Super Tech as been working just fine for us. We don't notice any difference except for the price.:cool2:

8. bladeheart

I have done several searches on where walmart buys their oil, however no real concrete evidence. Although you would think that due to walmart being a publicly traded company they would have to disclose this type of activity. Just a guess.

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

If this debate was for your trucks, okay then. But when we're talking mowers, we're talking two quarts! If there's any concern, get the "good stuff". I use Mobil 1 every 100 hrs. and never had a problem.

10. bladeheart

I can't speak for the rest on this forum, however to me it could actually add up to a lot of money over time, esp. if you were to use it in all the vehicles and machines. I don't use it right now but it something that if I knew it was a good product I would. There are other things that you might have noticed that have the walmart brand that taste or are just as good. Things that come to mind are potato chips, mayonnaise blah blah blah.