Walmart synthetic versus Mobil 1

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by StanWilhite, Jul 24, 2012.

1. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys, I've searched pretty thoroughly and can't find any reliable info on how WalMart's (full) synthetic oil compares to other (name brand) synthetics.

I've found personal opinions, but has anyone actually seen any hard facts (tests) concerning the WalMart brand synthetic, and how it compares to name brand synthetics?

Seems that at one time I saw some actual data on this subject but can't seem find it now.

Thank you kindly! Stan

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Will see what others say...but Walmart branded oil.....would make me nervous without a doubt.

3. StanWilhite

Thanks for the reply.

I know what you mean. But, I can't imagine Walmart selling oil of any kind without having some hard facts as to it's quality.

I also would think that if WalMart's synthetic oil (or any oil for that matter) was inferior, considering how much they sell worldwide, and the news being the way it is, we'd know all about it by now.

So...I'm kinda "on the fence" on this one. Hopefully someone knows more about this than I do!

Stan

4. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

No sir, doesn't work that way, you're a big boy now so I'm not taking the responsibility for what comes of it, you want to save money then you take your chances, otherwise pay the premium and be done, choice is yours.

5. StanWilhite

Uh....don't recall asking anyone to "take any responsibility" for anything....but thanks? :confused:

6. Mtnmn

Mtnmn LawnSite Member

If it has the sae/api and rated certs. on the bottle, it has to meet industry minimum standards.

But I wouldn't give wally world the pleasure .

7. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Walmart does not make their own synthetic oil. The product they are producing is private
    labled for Walmart. When someone finds out who the actual supplier to Walmart is than anyone can make an informed decision about purchasing for their own use.
    easy-lift guy

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I buy store brand oil for everything...I mean everything...even my BMW. This is unless a name brand is cheaper.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

I believe in not getting caught up in all the hype about store brands and name brands. The manufacturers of all products have a tier system in place in order to maximize their profit margins. Weather anyone buys a name brand or private lable "store brand" the products are the same. The Manufacturers would love for everyone to buy the name brand First and only.
    The balance of the market share ends up being sold as store brand or some other form of private labeling. Buying the less expensive brand of anything is more common sence and practical as opposed to squandering
    ones money.
    easy-lift guy

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I believe this.
    Posted via Mobile Device