Wam

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oldturf, Dec 18, 2006.

1. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

I am about to buy a WAM and I am leaning toward the John Deere 1600 over the Toro. The main reason not to buy the Toro is that they have put the screws to me the last cople of dealings that I have had with them and I have been getting rid of all my Toro equipment and switching to JD which has been great to work with. Does anybody know of any problems with the new 1600.

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know how new you're talking about, but the models from 2 years ago or so would overheat.

If you're looking for a deal on a WAM, I've got a 2001 Toro (I know you said you're dumping Toro) but it's only got about 525 hours on it, looking to get about $15,000 for it.

I'm right up I-35 from ya a little ways in MN, could even meet you 1/2 way if you'd like.

I don't have the accounts anymore to make it worth keeping around....

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What do these mowers (1600 and the Toro) go for new? I've always wondered about these.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've got a Toro 455-d. The current model is a Toro 4100.

The difference is that mine has a 55 hp Peugot diesel, the new ones run a 60 hp Kubota diesel.

New they run about $43-45k.

I've got the cruise control in mine as well, $800 option.

When I was checking into the 1600 a couple of years ago, they were running about $38,000.

The problem with the 1600, is that there's a deck out the front, but then the "side" decks are on the side of the machine. This means that you're going to mow out the front with a 54" deck, but that you're not ogin got be able to get into corners and such, since the side decks are set back 5' from the front.

My 455-d has a 11' deck straight across the front, so you're able to drive up into corners of buildings and such.

5. johndeereguy

johndeereguy LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I am a 100% Deere guy, everything I own is a Deere, I even fly a John Deere flag outside my house, but there is now was on God's green earth I would ever buy a John Deere 1600 wam. I demo one a few years back. That thing will not cut grass. The blade tip speed is only 12,500. I was very disappointed. I am much better off with a tractor with a Land Pride bat-wing finish mower. Cheaper, then just unhook and you have a tractor to use.

6. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

Thanks for the heads up- they say that they have upped the tip speed but it is still around 13,500 so I am still curious about them. They are bringing one for me to demo and I will pay particular attention to that. I am also considering the tractor and bat-wing finish mower option. Don't know which way I'll go yet.

7. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

That sounds like it might be a pretty good deal even with my problems with Toro, but I also need a cab with air conditioning- This one is going to have air, whatever I buy. Can a cab and air be installed on your Toro as an after market, or do you know.

8. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a John Deere 4700 tractor, and have considered a 12 or 15 ft bat wing finish mower for the school I mow. But I felt like the tractor was to light to handle a mower that size. It would weigh almost as much as the tractor. How well does yours handle the bat wing?

9. johndeereguy

johndeereguy LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I have had a 4700, 4710, 4720, 4720w/cab and now have a new 4720 with cab and have alwasy puller a Landpride batwing mower with it. I do a lot of large open areas. If you have a 4700 or 4710 I would recomend the 14 ft. model. The twenty series have more hp and I pull the 16 ft. They also make an 11 ft. This is so much better then a WAM. You can unhook the tractor and use it for so many other things. I hated that Deere 1600 I tried. My dealer even admitted it is a piece of s***

10. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

LwnmwrMan22- does your 455 have 4 wheel drive and steering?