1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wana hear your opinions please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Aug 21, 2004.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I have this long time customer with huge yard. Picky as heck.Took her several week for me to earn her confidence in me when I did this solo. Now I have workers that do a good job, but she is never happy no matter how well we kiss her azz. The other thing I should let you know is her husband is ceo of a large company that we perform all the outdoor maintenance for & the plant manager loves us. Any time he wants to contact me he e-mails me or calls & were there. They pay well and I count on their check in winter months. Now back to the lady, for the last several weeks she has been griping about everything (morning dew, can u come back later, cut it shorter, cut it longer, ect, ect, ect) every time we come & there just isnt pleasing her. She told one of my workers "I would hate for you guys to jeopardize losing my husbands business" on one of our last visits.
    I know what Im going to do.
    What would you do?
  2. moremowing

moremowing LawnSite Member

yes sir, no sir what else can i help you with sir, have a nice day mam. Good payers, Kiss that butt even harder
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

tell the B!tch to kiss off and if her husband pulls his account your better off with out them. Unless thats in your contract that you need to pucker up when she says so lol

4. moremowing

moremowing LawnSite Member

sounds like you need the money in the winter, kiss her butt till you find the accounts that would replace that revenue-
    then adios pita
  5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I second that .............

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Can you cut her lawn yourself? Are your helpers the "problem"?
  7. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

I would talk to her husband and tell him to get his wife undercontrol. If you lose the account well than you find another one that can carry you through the winter. I would never let someone have me over a barrel like that. Sometime just a good conversation is allit takes.:cool:
  8. 42homers

42homers LawnSite Member

Tell the hubby that it might be time to turn the properties over to somebody else...........your not having too much success with the wife and she is threatening.

If he wants you then he'll straighten her out when he finds out she is the problem.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

"Mr. Lottabusiness, thank you for taking a minute to speak with me. I have taken out time to stop by and talk to you because I'm really concerned..... I value your business and I take great pride in the work I do for you. But lately it seems we are having a really hard time pleasing your wife..... We are maintaining everything in the same manner we always have. But every week it seems she has a new and different complaint.... She has complained/requested (enter items from your post). She has me to the point I don't know what to do to please her, because her demands vary so much.... So I wanted to get you to the side to see if you might know what she's really unhappy with, or if there is some other underlying issue?"

I bet money he says "to tell you the truth I have no idea."

If this is the case, then corner this up by saying....
    "Well Mr. Lotsabusiness, could you please do me a favor by taking a look around this afternoon when you get home. See if you see anything you are not satsified with. Then see if you can figure out for me what it is that she's actually not satisfied with about our service. During a recent visit, she made the threat I would hate for you guys to jeopardize losing my husbands business...... Honestly I'd really hate to see that happen too, otherwise I wouldn't be standing here discussing this with you.... So please have a look around, have a talk with her and give me a call tomorrow to let me know..... My employees are under a lot of pressure to please and voicing their concerns to me. So it's important to me that we come up with a speedy resolution so we all know where we stand."
  10. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

You need to keep your help undercontrol with there mouth. It's harder for them to deal with her than you. You'll say to your self the lady is nuts. Your employees will say it to her. They know where the firing line is and it's easyer to jump over the line than to trip over it. I see these people as someone who wants to be in control of there life and yours. Theirs because they have money and want you to see it. Yours because it makes them feel good for them to see it. The good business man way woud be to do a work around and keep the company going till the last min. I don't know how much ass kissing one person can do or how much a group can do. If the old man put her in charge of the home lawn to keep her away from him at work, then he knows his plan worked. If he ever admits it to you, charge more and live with it. Cut the lawn your self a couple times then take one person with you to help so you have time to kiss up. After some time she may find interest in something else. Give her a ride on a mower. LOL