wanna get bigger

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by wclement7, Jul 3, 2004.

1. wclement7

wclement7 LawnSite Member

i have mowed lawns in my neighbor hood for the last 3-4 years. and just lately i have been give 6-8 lawns that are actaully apartment houses, that i have to do. i make 10$ and hour, and i really love mowing. after i get my driveing license i want to improve on how many lawns i mow. i was wondering if you would give me some tips and ideas to do when i start? is it better to charge by the hour, or by the size and types of things to be done? any other tips are greatly apreciated!!
    thanks much,
    willis

2. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

HI willis I live in australia it mite be diferant but mowing is the same all over. I think for apartment houses it dpends on how much comin ground, that is sheard ground between houses and
    how much is privite , if you have comin ground you divide the time
    taken between how many houses their are.
    For houses or units like this I charge $10 to $15 per unit on an average. But when it comes to price for houses with a good size yard you have to look at the job and dicide how long its going
    to take. If 1 lawn is going to take 1hour I charge about $ 30
    But it depends on how hard the yard is .hilly how many garden beds edgeing etc. So you have to vary your price but $10 phr
    is to cheap .thats slave labour. Any more info just ask .
    PHILL.

3. wclement7

thing is nomatter how long it takes me... always under 2 hours per house and 6 houses the guy always pays me 100$. which i can do in one day.

4. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

He is ripping you of . If you do 1 house in two hours or under
    its worth at least min $50 thats what he would have to pay
    a contracter .Try to work a deal . Or chase other work
    because you can make $300 a day doing the same thing
    for indaviduals. ask me more PHILL.

5. wclement7

do you need some sort of license to mow professionaly? if i can fit a rider lawnmower into the back of my ranger and use ramps will it be ok until i have enough for a trailer?

6. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

NO license. But you might have to regester the mower for
    doing roadside work? check with your local motor regestry.
    But for normal mowing no rego.
    And if it fits in the back ? no problem .It will cut your mow time
    in half +

7. wclement7

cool thanks for your help i will think of more things to ask don't worry!

8. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Glad to be of help seeya later
    Phill

toyota hilux 4x4 high lift kit
    ariens 1640
    rover 22' pro 6.5
    27 kasa
    37 KASA
    21 ECHO BLOWER
    rover ranger 30'
    HONDA / VICTOR 21' 6.5
    6X4 CUSTOM TRAILER

9. wclement7

i was wondering. is there many people that specialize or do overgrown lawns and areas? i just did a overgrown "lot" maybe a half an acre took about 4 hours and made 150$ which i thought was pretty good and i like using the weedeater more than the mower so i thought it might be good to do that as something that i would advertise and then do lawns to. do many people need that? do you think w2hat i charged was a good price? a little over 30$ a hour. thanks for your help again!
    willis

10. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

Yeah there are guys with big tractor slashers.and they would probabley charge about the the same but do it in about half an hour. $ 30 to $50 phr is not bad, but its hard work.
    It depends on how hard -long -steep and so on. If its steep and its to hard for a tractor? go $80+. phr. You'll make more money
    on lawns when you get the numbers up ,'slahing is just an extra.:D