wanna hear a crazy one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Dec 1, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i landscape company here had this happen: he got a call for lawn renovation. the job was earate, seed, and starter fert. the client had thier own seed, which they ordered online. so, it was customer supplied seed. the job was to be done "next week." the client will be away next week, so she gave the landscaper the seed in advance. the guy went and did the job, there was not enough seed. he used some of his own seed to finish the job. the customer came back, and saw the invoice , on it was a minimal charge for the exttra seed the landscaper used. she flipped. took him to court for "contaminating" her property with seed she didn't want. the court ruling was, the landscaper will not be paid for the job, furthermore, he will pay another company $900 to remove the top 2" layer of "contaminated" soil, replace it, and seed it.

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

and where will this seed come from?
    and, where did the seed landscaper no. 1 used to finish the job come from?

People these days are soooo stupid!

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is sick! This is what is wrong with the world. This is the reason that I have contracts, because of cr@p like this.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Should have never taken the job. Or at least known that what she supplied wouldn't be enough. In that case couldn't he fight it by showing the seed and inert matter was the same? or even better for that matter? People can be freaking nuts about things though. :)

5. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

sounds to me like she bought the seed online to save money, either that or she's a little too anal. it's not to hard for a landscape company to see if they got enough seed from the customer for the job. i would have figured it out before hand and let them know. it's a crappy thing that the customer took him to court over it, some people are just sue happy. ;) ;) :rolleyes:

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I don't let my customers provide their own materials for any jobs.

7. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think he should have applied his own seed to finish the job. I'm guessing it wasn't the same type of seed?

Explain why she came up short to her, along with how much for your second visit if she wants you to finish it off.

She's still sue happy, among other things, so there's probably not much he could have done anyway to suit her.

8. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

Hoolie said it , I couldnt agree more........ Also the lco should have known before hand how much seed was needed and discussed it with the customer...... The court ruling is rediculous.........

9. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

I've never allowed a customer the supply something for me. just a classic reason in this situation of how things can go wrong. ;)

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i feel bad for the guy. i probly would have done the same thing. you come up short, you finish the job so you can move on. he said the client did not STRESS THE IMPORTANCE of the special seed, just said she ordered it because she saw it online, and it said it was "all natural containing no this or that", and that it had incredible tolerance to drought/disease.